<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Thankful?

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful?

I really enjoy taking the time to be thankful for things.  I find that it's helpful to do that when things are stressful, life is getting me down, or I'm just in a foul mood.  If you've been reading very long, you have probably seen a few posts where I just list things I'm thankful for.  I bring this up, not to tell you all how awesome I am, though that is pretty true.  I'm bringing this up because, while during the rest of the year I spend A LOT of time counting my blessing, the holidays is the one time I don't feel very blessed at all.

Sure, I can count the my blessings that we can afford to buy presents, and can even usually splurge on a really great gift every now and then.  I can feel thankful that I have a job I love and food on my table and all of your standard 30 days of being Thankful stuff.  But the reason the holidays get me down is that everyone loves to count their blessings, and so many have so much more than I do.

Money isn't everything.  We hear that all the time.  And while my husband and I are financially secure and should be out of debt in the next year or so, what I'm lacking in this world is family and friends.

Watching everyone announce on Facebook all of the things that make them feel lucky just pains me, since so many of them are usually the family and friends in their life.  The people in this world that I truly love are few and far between if you want to me name the people I choose to love VS the people I love because I have to.  And the people I feel really close too are probably even fewer.  I'm not close to my parents anymore, you've all been reading about the strained relationship with my ailing grandfather and there's the relatives I never talk about because I have no cause to because they aren't apart of my life.

Don't get me wrong, I have family that I adore, but they are all pretty far away.  I do feel very grateful for them and am happy that Facebook exists to bridge the gap of distance that lies between us.  I'm so thankful to know that I have cousins who make me smile, even from another state, but I'm not blessed in the family department the way so many are. And when it comes to friends, I'm down right poor in many ways.

The holidays are the time of year that everyone remembers how blessed they are, and it's the time of year that reminds me how lacking I am in many ways.  I would trade a lot of what I have in spades to be able to boast what most of you have.

So, I will be thankful for the things I have.  I usually am.  We weren't always financially secure and we didn't always have the lifestyle we have now and I feel lucky that we came out ok.  I'm thankful for my dogs, my job, and the few people I have in my life.  But the holidays will probably always serve to remind me that I don't have many friends and my family life is severely lacking.  But I suppose you can choose your family too, and maybe this year, I'll work on having more of those kind of people in my life so that it's not as painful.

I just find that it's much easier for me to feel thankful for the material things when I'm not being reminded of the riches that I'm missing out on.

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home