<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Paris in Winter

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Paris in Winter

I’m sitting here, eating a croissant with jam and suddenly I’m heartsick for Paris.  Each morning I started my day with a fresh baked baguette, with the most amazing butter and the best jam I’ve ever tasted.

I haven’t had a croissant, a baguette, or even an éclair since being in France.  I suppose it has been my subconscious telling me it will only serve to make my thoughts wander to streets of cobblestone, flowers just poking their stems up through freshly thawed soil and more museums than my mind could process. 

Missing Paris is not that same feeling I have had as missing other things in my life.  It’s nearly a yearning, practically a longing, for a life I’ve never actually lived, but somehow feel as though I have.  It’s a faint memory of a childhood I didn’t experience, but my soul is so familiar with. 

I do not understand why our trip to Europe affected me in such a strong way.  I’d always dreamed of going to Paris and sitting in front of Monet’s paintings.  Many people dream of visiting them.  It’s more of missing the air there.  I miss the feeling of the Parisian energy, the looks on the locals faces when we were wandering side streets not frequented by tourists, but not drawing attention to the fact that we were outsiders looking in. 

I was told that visiting Paris and London during the winter months is a time when you get to see those places most themselves.  I saw Paris unobstructed by the masses of foreign tourists.  I saw Paris just being Paris and it felt like a vague memory. 

Now I find that this croissant reminds me of a life I never lived.  And it makes me sad to think that the buttery croissants I used to love are nothing but a reminder that nothing will compare to my time sitting in little cafes, sipping my morning orange juice, eating my petite dejeuner and wishing with all that my heart has that I didn’t ever have to leave.


Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Paris is amazing. I would love to go back.

November 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Krystal Melissa ♥ said...

You are very lucky you've been there. I haven't yet visited... but as everyone else is- I'm dying to visit. It's definitely on my top 3 places to travel to. I love everything French.... how romantic it would be to go with the one you love!
Eating croissants & fresh baguettes..... my dream.

November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home