<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: It Was Fun While it Lasted

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

It Was Fun While it Lasted

Sadly, I have had to delete the Instagram account that I started less than a week ago.

I have included the letter I sent to Instagram so that you all may understand why.  I'm bummed.  I really liked the app and had a blast using it the short time I did, but I can't overlook privacy issues when my blog is written by the anonymous "A Girl" and that even has it's own email account just so that I can join things like Twitter and Instagram without my two lives overlapping.

What a shame.

*****

I deleted my Instagram account today after less than a week on it. 

I have a blog that I use as the  anonymous "A Girl" and created an Instagram account using the blog email and info.  However, in less than a few hours, I got three requests today from people from my private, personal life, who know nothing about my blog, nor my have my blog related email address.  

When I joined, I went to the "find users" section and gave access to my email account thinking it would only access the account I gave Instagram.  Imagine my surprise when personal contacts from my personal email account, not my blog account, showed up in the resulting search for friends based on email addresses.  I figured it was a glitch and continued to use the app.  Now that I have begun to get requests from people in my personal life who know nothing about my blog, I have realized it is much more likely that Instagram accessed ALL of my email accounts and then utilized that information to "help" me find followers.  

I'm disappointed that an app I enjoyed using so much, and that came so highly recommended by so many in the blogging community, would violate my privacy in such a manner.  I was also disappointed to have to tell me readers that that I had set the account to private and then deleted it a few hours later.  

I did not link the account to my Facebook fan page seeing that there was no way to prevent my personal page from being included, so I'm unsure how the leak would have happened otherwise.  

I have deleted the account because I do not feel my information is safe.  I think you should strongly consider reviewing your privacy policy and amending it to either include the fact that you will do this, or change the currently policy by discontinuing the practice. 



Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Shell said...

Hmmm... I've never had that issue with mine. My blog and my personal are totally separate as well.

Though now I'm trying to think if I ever gave it access to my emails. Maybe I didn't and that's why.

November 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow I had no idea that this happens. Such a shame. :/

November 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

:( I'm sorry!

November 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home