<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: A Brief Interview with a Super Cool Lady

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, November 5, 2012

A Brief Interview with a Super Cool Lady

If you aren't aware of LC over at Faith and Deployments then we can't be friends anymore.  Go ahead, I'll wait while you go to another blog... ;)
The microwavable heating pad. I love this!
Stays warm for hours!

Makeup Brush Roll
Well, LC is a super cool gal who happens to have a super cool small business.  She is the owner of The Running Stitch, which offers a range of fun products, all homemade and sewn by hand.  Well, by machine, but she works the machine, so I think it still counts. 


I love how many pockets there
were for my brushes! And it's such
a cute pattern!
I was lucky enough to get to preview a few of her products before she opened shop in October.  I was give two so that I could review her products.  I contemplated giving one of them away to my readers before they arrived.  Well, I love them both too much to share, so that should tell you something about why you should want to check out her products.  Instead of giving away the items I decided to do a fun interview with her to introduce y'all to her and her business.  

1.  Where did you get the idea to start up your own business?
I've always liked the idea of working from home. Could wake up when I wanted, go running when I wanted, run errands, keep the house up, make appointments all without having to ask for time off from work. So when our move to California let to job rejection after job rejection I vaguely brought the idea up to my husband and he said "yes" and here we are :)
2.  How did you manage to start it up in the middle of a PCS? Are you secretly wonder woman?
I think I greatly under estimated the amount of time a PCS takes. I was really worried once all our stuff was dropped off a week before our opening date it wouldn't get done in time. We managed to unpack our entire 9000lbs in 2.5 days, including hanging pictures. I opened my bank account Friday and business went up live on Monday the 15th. It was a world wind. Definitely not wonder woman, although if my husband asks anyone, I would greatly appreciate the praise :) I think timing had a lot to do with it. I made everything to send off for reviews and giveaways but ONE thing before we moved. I had the luxury of not working our last month in Texas so I did a lot of the prep work right before we left.
3. Where do you draw your inspiration from for your products? (How do you come up with all these cool things?)
 I'm a Pinterest junky. For real. Search for "Cecoraswife" I have thousands of pins and they are all organized. I also have great friends who send me all sorts of links to things that say "make this for me!" or "hey! can you make this?!?!". It's gotten to the point now I can point things out in stores that I can make for half the price or know how much work something took to warrant a high price tag.
4. What would be the best piece of advice you could offer a milspouse (or anyone for that matter) who is wanting to start their own small business?
I was really blessed. I emailed several milspouse bloggers who also own their own business and picked their brain for what they did and how they did it. I'm a big researcher so I did a LOT of research. Checking product, costs, comparing to other homemakers, etc. The best piece of advice I have is start your own business only if you love what you do, even on the hard days. Because some days you're working for free and only for you. So if you don't love it enough to sweat through it, cry through it, or take risks and be prepared to hold your ground, don't do it.
5.  What is your personal favorite thing to sew/that you offer?
My favorite thing is definitely the t-shirt quilts. I have these customers who mail me these shirts that have memories attached to them. Every shirt has a story. Where it came from, how they got it, how long they have had it, who wore it. So taking a precious memory and turning it into a keepsake is an amazing joy. The thought that people let me handle their "keepsakes" is just humbling.
6. Can you tell us about a time that you tried to make something that failed? Or a product idea that didn't turn out as you planned?
HAHA oh man a fail! I'll give you two.
The first one I was probably about 9 and wanted to make a quilt just like Grandma does. I took all my mother's scrap fabric and just sort of cut it into what I thought were squares and didn't pin a single thing together and just went to sewing....with the presser foot up. Without a presser foot on the fabric, it moves every which way and just goes bonkers. Needless to say I had a somewhat "blanket" and was very proud of my creation, but I got bored and didn't put a backing on it and left it to look like a hot mess and gave it to my mom like that.
In college, I was a Theater Management Major (not to be confused with Acting or Directing, I managed the theater aspect of things) and I had to take "costuming". Well, we had to pick a pattern of anything we wanted and create it. So a girl friend and me decided on these really simple dresses. Picked out super cute matching fabrics and went to work. I learned very quickly I have no patience for people clothes. My dress looked like a balloon. Seriously a lime green with polka dots MooMoo was more along the lines. Never again will I make clothes.
7. One random fact about you.
Random fact.....I look and sound like I am 12 years old so no one ever takes me seriously in serious situations. I blow people away when I tell them I am in my mid 20s, married, with a degree. 
8. Shameless plug your business and your blog :)
Shameless plug away: My stuff is awesome :) Well I like to think so, and hopefully you will think so as well. I work really hard and try my best to be as perfect as humanly possible when creating things for others. I'm doing something I love that allows me to meet people and make something worthwhile to them. It isn't just a blanket or a heating bag or a dog shirt. It's something that will be in someone's home and people will see and look at. And I want that to resonate through my work. I hope you stop by and say hello and ask all the questions you want!



Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home