<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Letting go of the "Just in Cases"

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Letting go of the "Just in Cases"


It’s an interesting realization to have when you begin to look around your life and see all of the things you are hanging onto for no reason.  We have become such a society of the “just in case” variety.  “I need to keep that old shirt, just in case I want to wear it again someday.” We keep friends on Facebook that we don’t really care about, we keep clothes, movies, trinkets, and people. 

I don’t know when or how I began to fall into this category, but I have noticed that as time has moved forward in my life, my “just in case” list has steadily grown into an emotional hoarding problem.  Looking back, I see that growing up, we didn’t have much, and thus I was taught to use what I had, be frugal and repurpose what I could.  Somewhere, I began to see that I didn’t have many friends, so I began to cling to the ones I had with such a frenzy that I often failed to admit when the friendships had become toxic, or non-existent.  I have kept clothes because I might fit them again, I have kept items because I might like them again.  I have kept my emotional life stock full of just in cases.

But why? Why do I need 300 friends on Facebook, when most of them are people I don’t give two straws about? Why do I need all of those movies on my shelf simply because I liked it when I saw it a year ago? Why do I need to hang on to people, simple because they have always been there? I don’t have a fantastic answer, other than to say, I think having these things makes me feel like my life is full, when in fact, most of these things are empty and devoid of any real meaning.

So, I have gone on a large mission to de-clutter my life.  I have de-friended people on Facebook.  Chances are they won’t even notice and why am I so concerned about the hurt feelings of someone who, even with being friends on Facebook, I haven’t talked to in years? I have purged my Tivo of shows I no longer watch.  Why do I need to keep recording them on the off chance that something good happens in the episode when I haven’t consistently watched it in ages? And I have taken a long hard look at my life, my stuff (both emotional and physical) and am taking stock of what things truly matter and what I can let go of. 

I think it’s important to constantly re-evaluate your priorities. 

You can always buy new stuff, but can you make up for lost time? No.  So, get rid of that dress that you wore once that has been sitting in your closet for the last 3 years.  Get rid of those people in your life who have failed to be there for you.  Throw away all of those “just in cases” and remember that those who matter will fight to stay in your life, those who don’t will never notice you left and all of those things that you use to fill your world to make it feel less empty are probably holding you back from something that could make your life truly spectacular, if only you would make room for it. 



Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Duh said...

Great post! I completely agree... and I may follow your example! My life could use some serious physical and emotional decluttering.

October 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Doc's Girl said...

I did a Facebook declutter a few weeks ago. I deleted 84 people. I felt a LOT better after I was finished!

October 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Julie Danielle said...

Good post! I really want to get rid of all the DVDs we have but my husband wants to keep them. I figure most are on Netflix anyway. I need to go through my FB list too.

October 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah N. said...

Such a good reminder. I'm really bad about this. You've inspired me to finally and relentlessly clean out my closet, lol.

October 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home