<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: First I Love You's

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

First I Love You's

When things get tough in my marriage, as they will, I think back to the first time my husband told me he loved me... Reluctantly.  The story makes me smile and makes other laugh.  It's the kind of story that reminds me of why we are together, why we make the perfect fit.  It is also the type of story that shows others why we will never be suited to be married to anyone but each other.  What other woman is going to think reluctantly admitting love feelings is endearing?  No one.

Marriage is a tough situation no matter how you slice it.  I once had someone tell me the best quote  about how to make a marriage work: You are married to someone for the better part of your adult life.  You will always love them, but you can't expect to be "in love" with someone for that entire time.  Remember why you love them and make it work until you fall back in love all over again.

It's sound advice.  I often joke with a friend of mine that I love my husband, I just don't like him that often.  :) But our first I love you's help me remember why I love him and want to fall in love with him over and over again for the rest of my life.

My husband's family owns a house out on an island.  They built the house on the beach long before anyone cared about beach front property, long before anyone wanted to live in that area (now a very fancy pants type area) and they have kept the house all this time.  Family members have lived there for ages.

When his grandmother was still alive, she owned the house, but wasn't living in it anymore.  She offered to let him take me to it for a weekend a way.  Our FIRST weekend away.  So, we packed up and made the trip to this lovely, quaint little house on the beach.  Made even more lovely by the fact that it's an unassuming house among mansions on the beach.  His family never felt any need to make it anything more than what it already was- perfect.

We walked the beach and collected rocks.  We laughed and sat by the fire in the living room in the evenings just talking.  No TV, no phones, nothing but us.

The morning we were to return home, we were laying there talking.  I have no idea what he said that spurred this moment, but I looked him in the face and said, "HA!  You love me!"  He said he didn't.  I laughed and teased him, "Oh yes you do!  I can tell! YOU LOVE ME!"  To which he reluctantly admitted, "Ok, so what, I love you. Big deal."  If that doesn't just make you feel all warm and mushy inside, then you must be made of wood.  HAHA!

At this moment, he looked at me and said in his most accusatory voice, "Well, you love me too." Which I did and I told him so, much more willingly than he bestowed his love feelings verbally on me.

He then kissed me sweetly and thought it would be very romantic to nibble and suckle my bottom lip, which he had never done before, so I did not actually expect this and had already started to move my head away from his.  This resulted in the largest, bluest, fattest lip you have ever seen.  I spent the rest of my day, in love with my boyfriend and unable to kiss him because I had to ice my big, fat lip.

I think fondly back on that day and remember who we were when we met, how we fell in love and how we knew we were perfect together because not another woman on the planet would think that is the most perfect first I Love You, as I do.

What is the story of your first "I Love You?"

Photobucket

PS- Stay tuned next week!  I am starting a bi-weekly Deployment Series, during which I'm featuring some AMAZING stories from some pretty wonderful Milies in the community.  :)  First post goes live Tuesday Sept 4th.  Subsequent posts will be Tuesdays and Thursdays each week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marcella{The Life of a Military Family} said...

LOL, this is too cute of a story!

August 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Duh said...

This story totally made me smile! I love it! Mr. duh and I have a pretty odd/unique love story as well... and I love that it isn't so cookie cutter.

I can understand where you are coming from with your marriage... Mr. Duh and I really have to work at it sometimes. Our marriage has never been effortless, but it has always been worth it.

August 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

This is an adorably sweet and funny story. :)

August 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger ____j said...

That advice is perfect! I love it. And your love story is cute ;)

August 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Awww!

Our first time we had gone hiking all day at Great Falls in Virginia and then had to walk on this dark deserted road back to our car. As we were walking I was a little freaked out and I grabbed his hand telling him I was scared. He said, "Don't worry, I love you too much to let anything happen to you."

I stopped dead in my tracks and just looked at him. There was a moment of silence and he sort of just raised his eyebrow at me. I cleared my throat and said, "You love me?" And he continued to look at me like I had two heads until I said, "Oh wow. I love you too!"

Dorky and very like us!

August 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home