<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Ever Seen a Dog CT Scan?

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Ever Seen a Dog CT Scan?



In honor of Furry Fridays, I have decided to share with you the pictures I took of my dogs CT scan.  :)  Being an employee sure has it's benefits and one was that I can take pictures of things I do to my pups!

Many of you know that my pup has been having issues.  I blogged a few weeks ago about my broken phone and how it broke when my dog was having something done and I needed to be reachable in case he needed surgery.  Well, the long and short of it is that our not quite 2 year old male Doberman has been having some intermittent limping.  We've tried meds and restricted activity, but he continued to limp.  The next step was to CT (CAT Scan) his elbows to see what might be causing the problem.  We did x-rays, but they didn't show anything and there are a number of things that don't show up on rads that can show up on CT.  So, he went in and we put him under and did a CT.

The pirate is the radiologist and "Jason" is our radiology technician.  
First we put him under, then we wheeled him out to our CT machine, which is so big that we had to put it in a trailer in our parking lot.  Pirate and Jason are working to get him in the best position, then they tie him down (gently) so that he stays that way.

This is my boy up close.  You can see he has all of him monitoring equipment places to not interfere with the scan, but so the anesthesia technician can continue to monitor him.  He feet have tape wrapped around them so that they can use the tape has handles to keep his legs in that position.  He remains fully intubated during the process and the scan. 

Then they cover him with a blanket to keep him warm and slide him in to the machine so that they can take a quick snap and see if he is in the best position. 

He was not, so that girl (one of our surgery departments anesthesia techs) is checking his vitals while Jason scootches him a bit to get his elbows just right. 

And now we scan.  Keep in mind that we are actually behind a closed door with a window that we use to see through.  This allows us to be out of the radiation area but still able to monitor him.  All of our anesthesia equipment is actually outside of the room from my dog.  The big white tube up see in the middle of the picture is connected to his breathing tube and is actually running through the ceiling into the other room so that we can adjust his anesthesia without having go be in the room.  The monitor on the table is facing our window so we can see his heart rate, blood pressure and other parameters from outside the room. 

And this is a picture of my boys elbows!  The really white parts are the bones in his forearm and elbow and the darker areas are his muscles.  :)

I personally try to never run anesthesia on my own pets, but I do enjoy watching the procedures they get done.  And I've never gotten to see a CT in action on a pet.  When I was at WSU, I ran anesthesia for them, but the set up was such that I didn't get to see what was going on behind the curtain, so to speak.  

Pretty neat, huh?

Photobucket

PS.  In case you were wondering, he was diagnosed via CT with having moderate sclerosis of his right elbow.  This is a fancy schmancy way of saying he has arthritis.  No idea why, but for some reason his poor little joint is rubbing together.  We are doing stem cell therapy, new medications and keeping our fingers crossed.  For the stem cell therapy, they harvest them from his shoulder, grow them in a lab, then inject them into his elbow.  I did not get to get pictures of that.  :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Brianna Renee said...

Wow. It's pretty amazing what they can do for pets now. Here's hoping the stem cell treatments work!

August 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger *Katie* said...

poor baby! my fingers are crossed too!

August 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow that is incredible.

August 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Cassidy said...

Breaks my heart your pup is having issues. I have two fur kiddos and love them dearly. My heart goes out to you and your pup.

August 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger JG said...

Oh my goodness. Poor guy! I hope the treatment works. He's so young!

August 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home