<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Curious as to your thoughts and opinions...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Curious as to your thoughts and opinions...


Forget Battling Bare for a moment.  That is not what this is about.  This picture was posted by Sgt.  Grit's FB page and within 11min had 30 comments, most of which were a debate.  The first comment was a woman pissed off that the woman in this picture has the EGA on her back.  It is likely not a tattoo, but drawn on her with the words.  The point being that this Marine wife is standing by her husband.  

However, this simple comment about how this wife has "not earned the EGA," has sparked a lively debated in the comments section.  The debate is twofold.  1. Only service members have the right to wear this type of stuff in ink on their bodies.  And 2.  That somehow the EGA is equal to his rank and that wives have not earned that. 

I will weight in briefly on my thoughts, but am curious as to how you all feel about this woman's statement (in the comments, not the picture and Battle Bare, that has been debated to death already) and the debate it's self.  

I do not feel that I have earned my husbands rank by any stretch of the imagination.  He has fought wars for that rank.  He has seen things I would never care to, done things I can't even think off and been through hell and back.  His rank is 100% his alone and I have no right to argue it, wear it on my body or clothing and definitely no right to throw it around like it entitles me to anything. 
***  I was brought to my attention that I failed as a writer to also include that rank is earned through a lot of ways other than deployments.  Signing the contract, doing your job well, bootcamp and experience, among other things, are all ways to earn rank and are just as valid as any other way to earn rank.  I apologize if I have offended anyone in my poor choice of wording.  Every military service member has earned their rank, and rightfully so.  I still stand that spouses are not included in that, but appreciate that I did not express this well and I'm sorry. 

That all said, I have zero issue with wives wearing things like the EGA.  I have a necklace with it and USMC wife shirts and such all that have it on them.  My husband takes no issue with this (heck, he bought most of them for me).  It's a matter of pride.  Would I get it tattooed on my body?  Probably not, but I don't have any tattoos and the EGA is not high on my list of things to get permanently inked onto my body.  But I guess I don't wholly see how having the tattoo is any different than the hundreds of other things that spouses wear to show pride in the life we lead.  A T-shirt, a bumper sticker, a tattoo, what is really the difference?  I've seen the insignias from every branch of the military etched onto anything that will stand still for sale on bases.  Grandparents, spouses, kids, nieces, nephews, you name the family member and there is some type of item for sale, just for them, with these insignias on them.  So, I supposed, I don't see the issue with a tattoo...  And to be clear, the Marine Corps puts their insignia on EVERYTHING!  LOL!  You'd be hard pressed as a spouse to buy something that DOESN'T have the EGA on it.  So maybe that is why my opinion is what is it.  It's very common place as a USMC spouse to have EGA stuff all over everything.  Heck, you can buy barstools with it on it.  But I digress... 

What are your thoughts?  Is it ok to tattoo this type of thing on your body as a spouse?  

- Please be respectful of me and each other if you are going to voice your opinions.  Any hurtful or mean remarks will not be posted.

Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger Doc's Girl said...

This is a sticky subject, and I hope people can be nice in their comments.

My husband is an EOD Tech. Their motto is 'initial success or total failure,' and their logo is something called a 'crab.'

I would not get a tattoo of the logo OR the crab personally, except under one circumstance:

If my husband, by some unfortunate turn of events, was killed in action, I would absolutely get one to honor him, to honor his memory, and to serve as a reminder that people aren't immortal.

Until that day, however, I'll leave the eod and bomb related tattoos to him. But, I will continue to steal his t shirts, because I'm his wife, and it's my job. ;)

July 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth, The Young Retiree said...

Well, I think wives get all out of hand when it comes to things of this nature. My first disagreement with this post is that rank is not earned in the battlefield. That's neither her nor there, rather something I am using to prove a point: something as little as how you phrased where your husband earned his rank can be the topic of debate. My husband never deployed until almost 9 years into his career. He earned his rank though, I promise you that.

I digress: being a navy wife, we're not nearly as MOTO as Marines and their wives. I can't say I'd ever seen someone with the Navy insignia on their skin, but if they so want it, so be it. For me personally: no, I never would. It's my husband's career and life and while I am a damn proud Navy wife (to the point that I let it define who I am today) I just don't get the point. Even our t-shirts aren't as MOTO as the Marine ones though, so this is kind of out of my league.

At the end of the day I just kind of feel: "To each their own".

July 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Carmen said...

I agree with The Young Retiree. To each their own. I didn't earn the rank that my husband bears by any means but if a marine wife wants to support her husband by getting the EGA tattooed on her, then let her do it. That's what this country is all about is freedom, isn't it?

Personally, I wouldn't do it but there are people out there who show pride that way so let them. :)

July 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Marinewife1111 {Marcella} said...

Oh the conversation on the picture cracks me up and saddens me all the same. Mostly because people can't seem to get past their own opinions and see what the originally post was truly all about!

I personally feel it is solely between the service member and their spouse. Just because they want to get it out of support for their spouse does not mean they are calling themselves a Marine or trying to say they are equal to them. If their spouse does not have a problem with it, then what they hey, who cares!
I have a tattoo of a flower. I am sure someone somewhere is offended by that, but it's my business, not theirs!!

July 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

here's my 2 cents......

i have "always faithful" tattooed on my foot. i got it after my baby brother graduated from boot camp. he's a third generation marine. but it has more meaning than "semper fi" does to the usmc. i will always be faithful to my husband, children, parents, family, etc.

second. i wear an EGA on a charm bracelet that my grandparents got me for my 21st birthday. my grandmother gave it to me after my grandfather passed away.

i am not married to a marine. however, i was raised by two AMAZING marines (my father & grandfather), my uncle was a usmc pilot, and now my brother is following in my dads/grandfathers footsteps. i am a VERY proud usmc daughter, granddaughter, niece, and sister. i wear my EGA proudly.

July 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home