<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: You Live and Learn

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, June 25, 2012

You Live and Learn

A few months ago, when I changed my name, I started researching blog designers.  I've always wanted a lovely custom design and thought that would be a perfect time to do it... Well, it wasn't in my budget, so I spend about 2 days looking into how I might be able to do some of this crazy blog stuff myself.

I found pages on how to make backgrounds and headers and buttons etc, but all using Photoshop, which is more expensive than just hiring someone...  UGH!  Then I stumbled on a tutorial about how to make a header without Photoshop using Picasa instead.  It was pretty cool.  It's pretty easy to use, but still took me an entire two days to do all the work I've done... And it's still not AMAZING.  But hey, I'm not very tech savvy, so I've been pretty pleased with myself, even if it was a steep learning curve.

Well, you may or may not have seen my background disappear today.  It does this every now and then and I have to go to where I got it and recopy the code.  It sparked my interest in how to do some of this design stuff on my own again.

Here's some things I learned today:
1.  I am STILL not savvy enough to use Picasa to make a background... Someday.
2.  I'm still not savvy enough to write HTML code without instructions on how to do it easily (read: copy and paste someone else's code and just change what they tell me to)
4.  There are about 10000 more features to Picasa than I realized and about 1000000 more things I could have done with it to make my button, header and signature better than they are.

and

5.  I'm too freaking lazy to go through all of that again.

Live and learn.  Maybe tomorrow I will be more motivated and will try out some of the the features I discovered.  It just sucks to realize that I spent 2 days working and thinking, "Man, I wonder where all those neat fonts come from?  I wonder how you get those neat effects?"  Etc. only to discover that they are in Picasa, you just have to be smart enough to know where to look.

Sigh.  Computers and technology are just not my friends.  But hey, I'm getting better...



*****

UPDATE:  Cutest Blog on The Block, the place I got my background from seems to have crashed.  A year ago, my old background disappeared for while, but I was able to recopy it.  Today, I've done that and it's disappeared again.  Their site won't load either.  Guess I will be forced to make those changes after all... I'd better get to work.

Smaller signature

1 Comments:

Anonymous Alejandra said...

Hey! I've been using GIMP for a while. It's just like Photoshop but completely free! I always used PaintShop Pro before so it's taken me a while to learn this, but it isn't that bad.

June 26, 2012 at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home