<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Is Running a Team Sport?

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Is Running a Team Sport?

The hubs went to a session with someone about all that is going on this morning.  He refused to talk about it.  When I asked how it went, he shrugged his shoulders.  So much for hoping it would be the start of good communication.  Whatever is going on with him is his own personal journey, and I guess he is taking that to heart with a cone of silence related to it.  So, instead, I suggested we go for a run TOGETHER.  The thought being that he PROMISED to help me train for the Tough Mudder... Ok, so he promised to run the Tough Mudder with me, but a few weeks ago he backed out of the event.  He hasn't been all that supportive of it anyway.  But when he backed out, he told me it wouldn't stop him from helping me train.  (insert sarcastic, non-believing eye roll here).  He had yet to actually follow through with that.

So, today, I suggested it would be a lovely day to go for a run and we could take both dogs.

Apparently, The Boy does not think running is a team sport.  I told him the path I usually take and that I warm up with a walk to Point A, then run to Point B, then turn around.  We walked to Point A and I indicated I was going to start running.  He started running too.  He started running at full speed, and pretty soon I could no longer see him.  I ran the entire first half by myself.  When I finally did see him, it was because he had run to the halfway point I told him was where I turn around and had turned around and was now lapping me.

He's well aware that his 6 minute mile is light years ahead of my 12.  It was a bit mean hurtful when he saw me coming at him (on his way back) and asked me, "Are you ok?"  As if there was something fundamentally wrong with me and my ability to run.

I should mention that I ran my farthest distance today, but with my worst time.  It was more humid than I thought and I didn't bring my inhaler.  And, since he had one big dog and I had the other big dog, my big dog was being terribly behaved trying to seek out the other big dog.  :(  It all made for A LOT more stopping and walking than usual.

None the less, running TOGETHER is not taking off at full speed and then lapping the person with a smug look on your face.  And that is definitely NOT "helping" me train.  So much for that.  I guess running alone is that way it is.

Lucky for me, I have a number of friends who run and who are willing to run with my slow little self.  They are perfectly happy to match my pathetic pace.  My one friend and I run on Tuesdays and she runs ahead and then circles back to meet me when I need to walk, but she doesn't run very far ahead, and sometimes she runs behind me.  But she stays with me.  And my friends push me with gentle prodding so I don't sell my abilities short.  They also help me set goals, like, "we'll run to that tree without stopping to walk."  That is helping someone train.

Sigh.  Lesson learned.  My husband does not seem to think running is a team sport and he has zero clue on how to help someone train.  For all of his boasting about what my running technique should be etc, what he is really good at is showing off.

Smaller signature

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kay said...

I am so sorry that your hubs isn't being much of a help to you on your Training. Sometimes men just don't get it, they 'try' to help, however most the time they don't help at all. Keep your head up. I just recently started following you please feel free to stop by my blog and check it out. Miss Kay's Journey Through Life @ http://misskaybick.blogspot.com/

June 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger A Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Duh said...

I'm sorry he backed out of the Tough Mudder, but I'm glad you are sticking with it! My husband is a runner, and I'm still work on it. He always asks me to run with him, but he hates slowing down to run with my slow butt! I'm sorry to hear he's not being more supportive.

I nominated you for "One Lovely Blog" because I love your blog! Your blog is so real, honest, and I admire you for sharing your life with us.

June 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home