<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Guest Post: Tips for Coping With Stress

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Guest Post: Tips for Coping With Stress

I'm so THRILLED to have Sarah V. over at Charting New Territory doing a guest post for me!  If you haven't checked out her blog do it today!




Hello! I'm Sarah, I'm a Registered Nurse born, raised and living in California with my Marine husband. We have three dogs, own a home, and eat paleo; our life is far from being stress free! I'm a Pilates fanatic myself, and love to bury myself in furthering my education. I've currently obtained two different degrees with a third in progress as we speak. My bloggy life is just an outlet for me to express my emotions and reach out to others like me.


Everyday life is stressful for everyone, then throw in the uncertainty of the military, your own career, kids, animals... oh and by the way the car broke down?! Holy crap. We’ve all been there, stressed to the brim and ready to explode at the next thing that goes wrong. I know I have, quite frequently actually. Sometimes, life just throws way to much at us and we need to take a step back and relax. 
I like to think of myself as sort of an expert at relaxing. You have to do it, or you’ll go insane. I’ve been there too, overstressed and overworked and I don’t want to go back to that place again. So, I’ll share my tricks to keep the stress level down.
Let’s start with a good foundation. A healthy diet, and regular physical activity. I know, you might be thinking that you don’t have time. I’m here to tell you that you need to make time. Trust me, this is going to make a world of difference in your life. Get up earlier for work or get up earlier on your day off. You have the time. Make a commitment. I, personally follow a paleo lifestyle for diet, it’s wonderful. ZERO processed foods, all organic. No Gluten. I’ve never felt better. Find what works for you. I also have made a commitment to working out three times a week, because I’m busy, and that’s all I have time for, but I schedule it in. I do pilates twice a week, and spin once a week. Once you get your body healthy, your mind will follow. You will feel better, and in turn your stress level will go down.
Sometimes, working out and eating well, just doesn’t work completely. Maybe you don’t have a lot of extra money to spend a day at the spa or maybe you do. Stay within your budget, and do something nice for yourself. Get a pedicure, get a massage, go out to lunch, watch a movie, watch the wave roll in at a beach; anything really. Something that you will enjoy without distractions of real life, a stress free environment just for you. No kids, no pets, no work. Just you and some relaxation.
Another little secret that I have is that when things get really bad, I like to come home and take some time alone. I’ve been known to walk straight in and head for a nice hot shower, alone in the bathroom. I’ll close my eyes, take some deep breaths and think of something peaceful; a mental vacation, if you will. Meditation is also a great way to relax. itunes has some really great pod casts for guided meditation, and if you listen to one of those in bed as you are falling asleep, it will lower your anxiety level, it did for me. I started meditating during my husband’s last deployment. I never had issues with anxiety before, but that deployment was particularly stressful. I was getting desperate, and I figured I would try it. TRY IT! It’s not silly if it helps you.
Finally, if it’s within your budget to do so, something that I love doing is traveling! When life gets too much to handle, a week away in a far away town is a wonderful cure for daily life. You hop on a plane, a train, even in your car. Get away, go somewhere else. Anywhere else but where you live and work. It’s kind of like a reset button for life. Then when you come back, you’ll be fresh and ready to start over.
No matter what you do, or how you handle your stress, make sure you find an outlet that works for you. Talk about it, blog about it, get it out. Whatever you do, don’t keep it inside.

What are some great ways that you like to de-stress? I’d love to hear from you.








Smaller signature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home