<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Welcome to Frugal Fridays!!!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Welcome to Frugal Fridays!!!

I have decided to start a little series on my blog called Frugal Fridays.

Each Friday (I hope, fingers crossed) I will post bits and tips about how I save us money without much hassle.   From homemade, all natural cleaning products, to things I do in our budget that cut our costs, I hope to share with you things I've learned along the way.

Being married to A Boy who isn't in love with cutting lifestyle is tough, when you are A Girl who is not great at justifying spending money.  What do you do when your spending styles don't mesh?  It's a common issue and a hard balance to find.  When one spouse wants to eat out and buy junk food that is expensive and one is always thinking, "It's cute, but is it $30 cute?" you better believe that you are going to butt heads.  My solutions?  Find ways to cut our spending, cut our budget and save us money, without it being a constant battle.

No, potato chips are not essential to life, but to afford treats like that, sometimes other things have to go.

Step one: I wanted to cut waste, cut chemicals and cut cost.  But earth friendly products are so expensive!!!

Enter Star Fiber.

 


This is going to be one of the very few things that I love and use that is an expensive up front cost.  But you know how I cut it?  Fairs. As in County Fair.  This company goes around the country to all of the big fairs and sells their product at a hugely discounted price.  They have a starter kit that includes a mop as well.  I think my starter kit cost me $60-70 when I got it 6 years ago.

I have spent the last 6 years slowly and patiently waiting each year for the fair so that I can buy something new.   I have a lovely collection of extra clothes, heavy duty mop heads for my dog messes, and scrubby pads that are great for cleaning the oven.  There is no need to have a bunch of extras of things, but I'm not big on doing a load of laundry for three towels, so I have extras just in case I don't do laundry before I need them again.

The website wants to dazzle you with technical jargon about how this specialty microfiber is made.  I don't care about that. What I care about is that I bought these cloths 6 years ago and am no where needing to buy new ones.  I can clean my whole house top to bottom with 2 cloths.  One wet, one dry.  Dry, these act as dusters that are more effective than Swiffer dusters.  Wet, they will take Aquanet off a mirror with a streak free shine.  Tooth paste doesn't stand a chance and dog slobber on my windows vanishes.  I do not need any cleaning chemicals.  The mops can be used wet to mop and will take black scuff marks off your wood floors.  Dry, they are the best broom ever.

My tip:  Air dry them.  They will last twice as long if you do not dry them in the dryer.  Just follow the washing instructions, air dry and go.

Now, I do sometimes need to disinfect things.  These clothes can do a lot, but they do not disinfect.  But I also have a recipe for DIY Chlorox wipes...

But that is a tip for another week.  :)


PS.  Star Fiber did not endorse my endorsement!  I honestly LOVE these products.  Though, if you Star Fiber people are reading, I would LOVE a few more mop heads. LOL!



Smaller signature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home