<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: An Interesting Question

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

An Interesting Question

How is a cat like a car?  I don't know that either.  It seems like it should be a riddle like, "Why is the raven like a writing desk?"

Last night, I had a patient come in in kidney failure.  That is a "time is of the essence" type thing.  We need to get the animal on fluids and medications to start supporting the kidneys so that we can stabilize them enough to be managed at home.  That's the hope anyway.

So, we assessed the kitty, spoke with the owners and then I presented the estimate.  The owner understood that there is a high and low end.  We ask for a deposit on the low end (the plan as it stands) with an understanding that it might hit the high end (where things can go with the variety of factors).  The owner was very resistant.  He said he was fine with the low end, but didn't want it to go over the deposit.  It only sort of works that way.

I did my best to explain and answer his questions when he posed an interesting question.  He asked me to explain it to him in terms of his car.  He said when he car is broken, he takes it in and gets an estimate to fix it.  The mechanic has to call before doing anything if it's going to go over the 10% leeway allotted per the estimate.  Why does it not work that way for his cat...

UUUUHHHHHHHMMMMM.....

I was so caught of guard by this comparison.  I paused briefly and replied, "Well, honestly, to me it's because your cat is ALIVE."  Time is of the essence when treating kidney failure and we need to be able to act quickly to save your cats life.

I have never been asked to compare my patient to car and explain why a live animal is not the same as an inanimate object that doesn't suffer if you take a few extra hours to call an owner.

I guess there is a first time for everything.

Smaller signature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home