<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: An Interesting Musing

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Interesting Musing

A fellow military spouse recently asked how we all felt about those bumper stickers that say "Wife, toughest job in the military"type stuff. I was actually quite surprised at the deeply strong reactions people had to these stickers!

So many wives strongly voice opinions that they are awful.  We are not in the military and our job as a wife in the family doesn't give us rank, nor does it compare to what our husbands do.  So many found it to be offensive.  Not a single person said, "Oh, I LOVE THEM!"

I see these type of sayings all over the internet, on cars when I'm driving, on shirts and FB.  It's everywhere.

I will say, I'm not the biggest fan of this saying for the reasons stated above and I do echo the sentiments of those other wives.  I don't have a really strong reaction to them.  I generally roll my eyes and try to think of when my husbands convoy was hit by an IED.  When a man was injured, when there was shooting and panic to secure the area and assess the damage.  Is me sitting at home, eating all the good food, sleeping in the middle of the bed while crying that I haven't heard from him in 10 days, as hard as that?  No.  It's not even close.  But I do understand why those stickers and items are out there.  What we wives do is not easy.  My civilian friends are not sitting at home wondering if their accountant spouse is going to come home alive tonight.  They are not trying to muddle through life on their own suddenly being both mother and father, but unsure of how to explain to their 6 year old why daddy still isn't home from work 6 months after he left.

We have many unique challenges in this life.  It's a strange existence we live.  It's one that no one can understand who hasn't lived it.  I get why wives want to announce to the world that we've got it tough.... But I do sometimes feel like those stickers are a bit self congratulatory.  Personally, I'm proud to stand by my husband and support him.  It's always very odd to me when people shake my hand and thank me.  I'm not doing anything other than loving my boy.  That love comes with it's obstacles, but hey, people have done stranger things for love, just look at Van Gogh.  :)

I'm not offended by them.  I just think they are a little silly.  But, in all fairness, this post is coming from a girl who has a USMC wife license plate holder (bought by my Marine) and a bumper sticker next to it that says, "Sexually Deprived For Your Freedom"  LOL!.  I mean, check out my little button on the side of the page.  HAHA!  So maybe, I'm not in a place to have an opinion at all.

What are your thoughts on those sayings being used by spouses?


Smaller signature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home