<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Good news and Bad news

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Good news and Bad news

I'll give you the good news first because that's how I like to have it.

The good news is A Girls FB page is at 17 likes.  That makes us just about half way to the giveaway announcement.  :)  Remember, it's 35 likes needed.  I'm super excited about the prize I have, so I really want you all to check out my page.  It's nothing super exciting, since it's new and I'm still working on it, but I keep ya updated on my new posts, on news in our life and on the random things that pop in my brain.  :)  Given that I live on sarcasm and brattiness, it can be entertaining.  Well, I think I'm funny, I can't speak for the rest of the population.  :)

Now for the bad news.  I'm warning you, it's very, very bad news. Feel free to not read on...

My grandfather was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few weeks ago.  It's not a great cancer to have.  In fact it's the second leading cause of death in cancer patients.  The first is lung cancer.  I didn't have high hopes for a good prognosis, no matter how painfully optimistic my family has been.

Well, the word is in.  My grandpa's cancer has metastasized to his liver.  This makes it terminal with no hope.  He has decided to do chemo.  I honestly don't know why because he only has a few months to live anyway.  But it's his decision and I hope it's the right one.  He is getting his affairs in order and attending all of his doctors appointments and once things are settled, we will begin the process of saying goodbye and taking turns visiting him.

Stomach cancer is one of the worst ones you can get.  It's asymptomatic until the end stages, so most people are not able to be treated.  It's highly treatable on the off chance you catch it early, but no one ever does.

I'm still trying to figure out how to cope.  I don't really know how to feel or deal with all of this.  I'm not close to him emotionally, but I see him often and he has always lived close to us.  He's been a hard man to live with in my life.  He's been distant and difficult, but he's also always been my grandfather.  How am I supposed to feel?  I'm not sure.  I feel confused.  I feel sad, but feel like I'm not sad enough.  I'm worried about that.  Am I bottling things up?  Probably.  The reason I'm good at the job I do is because I'm amazing at being emotionally distant during difficult situations.  I'm calm, cool and collected.  Not to say I'm not compassionate and understanding, but I do not get emotionally involved.  To be honest, I'm like that with most everyone in my life except The Boy.  A large part of that is due to how my family is.

So, how do I cope with this news?  I don't know.  I'm not in the optimist denial my family is.  I'm realistic and have been since I got the initial news of his diagnosis.... I'm realistic about what is going to happen.  But being realistic, and understanding doesn't help me know how to deal.   I guess we will see where this journey my family is on will take me...


Smaller signature

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I am so incredibly sorry! :( I know we don't know each but I lost my Mom to lung cancer last year and if you need to talk or vent please feel free to email me. I am sending many prayers your way.

May 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Marinewife1111 {Marcella} said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.
When my Grandfather passed away in 2006, I kinda also had mixed emotions. My Dad was really emotional about it, but I was never really close to my Grandfather. I didn't end up crying until after the funeral and they were really only tears because I knew my Grandma had lost her best friend.
I think it's ok to not feel as sad as you think you need to be.

May 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger chambanachik said...

I'm so sorry. :(

May 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home