<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Don't read books...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Don't read books...

Well, don't read books that make you depressed.

I'm reading the Hunger Games series.  I do no generally fall prey to those ubber popular series so quickly after they make waves.  Case in point: Book four was out before I started Harry Potter (though I can cooly admit I'm the biggest HP nerd) and I didn't even understand what Twilight was until my mom insisted the borrow the books.  Even then, they sat in my house until halfway through my husbands deployment, which was months after the first movie had come and gone from theaters.  And I didn't even really understand the movie had come out.  I'm not really up to date on teen fiction, or popular crazes.  Can someone explain to me what a Kardashian in please?

But I had so many people push the Hunger Games on me.  I put it off, as I love to do with popular stuff like that, but the husband saw a trailer and thought the movie didn't look half bad and it made me realize I'd better read the book sooner rather than later... or at least before it becomes available on Netflix.

I just finished book two.  I don't talk much about books I read.  I go in and out of intense periods of reading based on how busy I am. But keep in mind that I love Jane Austen, I think Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is everything a book should be, and I prefer a good mystery over much else.  Cop dramas are all the better.  So to hunger games is not up my alley...  But I do like them.  They are good.  Not great, but they keep my attention and make me want to keep reading... Aside from the part where I have officially teared up more in these two books than any other book or series I have ever read.  And at parts that are moving, but don't warrant crying I'm sure.  I don't know why I find these books so gut wrenching.  Exciting, sure, but why do I also find them totally depressing?

But now that I've finished book two, I have no choice but to see where this story ends...  It's the same reason I read all of the Twilight series.  I reluctantly like those books, but very, very reluctantly, and I have never seen the movies.  I just can't because I don't actually like any of the characters that much. I honestly think I only read them and liked them because the hubs was a world away.  But the Hungers Games, I actually like and think I could read again... But I probably won't because I would rather not be utter depressed while reading a book... And, to be honest, the second book was a bit predictable and it's not leaving me high hopes that the third book will satisfy me.  

1 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

I actually really avoid reading popular books like Twilight, The Hunger Games, and other made-into-movies books (heck, I'm just reading The DaVinci Code lol) but The Hunger Games were actually good - unlike Twilight - until the third book. I just really didn't care for Mockingjay.

April 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home