<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Snow... Sigh.

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow... Sigh.

The rest of the nation can talk crap if they want, but WA state had to declare a state of emergency today due to 1000's of people still being without power and record inches of snow fall in the Seattle area.  And those without power, and those who are just now losing it, have no hopes of it being on any time soon.

Judge if you must, but keep in mind a few things while you laugh:

1.  We go years, yes, YEARS without ever seeing snow outside of the safety of our ski lifts.
2.  While most of the country has hills that average a 2% grade, we have hills that are more than a 20% grade in steepness.  Think about trying to get out of your house when you are surrounded by hills layered in ice and snow (even just a few inches of it) when you are facing a 20% or high grade hill.
3.  We don't own chains, snow tires, or even have enough snow plows to go around- Ok, that is is purely for the folks who live in Seattle proper.  I have chains, and my husband has snow tires and our county has plenty of plows.
4.  Given the record number of inches falling, over such a short period of time, even those of us who get snow every year and have a county and/or city that owns plows and isn't afraid to use them, they simply can't plow our roads fast enough.  Case in point: The road I live near is a road used by the sheriffs dept as a short cut to the freeway.  It's not plowed and hasn't been in days.  My town in based around a main highway, also not plowed.  They simply can't keep up.

Since Monday, we have officially hit over a foot of snow at our house.  That hit yesterday afternoon.  I woke up, after being told it was going to rain today, to 3 more inches of snow and a heavier snow fall than we had yesterday.  I'm stuck in my house and hating it!!

I tried to make it to work, but my car just couldn't navigate the hills.  I'm now determined to try tomorrow, even if it means I have to sleep there.  In all likelihood, even if I make it in, I won't be able to make it home.

I also live in what is called the convergence zone.  Basically, it means we get the worst weather of everyone.  So, if Seattle says they will get 3 inches of snow, we will get at least 6.  So, when Seattle got 4 yesterday, we got enough to push us over the 12 inch mark... I think we got close to 8.  That is not helping my situation in the least.  And neither is having three crazy dogs that love the snow, but I can't walk them far in it because I'm going to break something when they pull me over on the ice.  The hubs already had to stay home from work today to take me to the doctor because I messed up my back earlier this week, which I'm pretty sure was a result of them pulling me in a sledding like fashion down the walk way to potty.  I wasn't on a sled, just my shoes.  :(  So, they are also suffering a slight bit of cabin fever.

Laugh if you want, but the Pacific Northwest is just not designed for snow.  

2 Comments:

Blogger The Social Frog said...

Sorry, I did have to laugh, not at your post but the stories I've read in newspapers. I am used to snow, lots of it though. I love the snow, walking in it, sledding, ice skating and skiing. My girls are loving the snow, my only issue is that we got so much snow, it was over both my dogs heads,lol. Be careful driving!

January 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM  
Blogger chambanachik said...

Yikes! We got a lot of ice and a little snow tonight, but we're used to it in the Midwest!

January 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home