<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: I feel terrible...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I feel terrible...

Remember my adorable "temporary" pup?  Well, she's not temporary anymore.  I love her and she is a perfect fit in our home.  So, why do I feel terrible?

I adopted her from a non-profit rescue.  I have heard wonderful things about them.  They are very well known in our area.  We went to an adoption event in our town and fell in love.  We didn't question the suggested donation that was $400.  She is a young puppy and is wonderful and this place runs completely on volunteers, foster homes and donations.  I was happy to help them for such a wonderful pup.  We were told she was healthy, happy and that they had IN THEIR POSSESSION, her vet records.

That was a lie.  They did not, in fact, have her records at all.  The person who was supposed to be my point of contact at the org kept saying she was working on it.  She then went on vacation.  She did suffer a family emergency, but did not contact us to inform us she would be unreachable and to contact someone else.  Our emails just went unanswered for weeks.  WEEKS.  No response about her records, our check that we wrote that still was not deposited, nothing.

We were frustrated to say the least.  So, I emailed the head honcho and told her so.  She contacted another rep and that person was able to get the records same day.  This begs the question, "why was our rep not able to do the same?"  But we accepted it as a victory and moved on...

Until 11 days ago when I noticed it had been almost 2 months and our check STILL had not been deposited.  I contacted our new rep and inquired and was told that our old rep had stepped down and had ours and a number of other peoples checks with her, still undeposited.  So, we waited.

11 days later (today), the check still has not been deposited.  :(  I had to call and put a stop payment on it today.  It was very sad.  I then called the head honcho and explained that we had done that, that we are beyond frustrated and that I will send them a new check, but for a considerably smaller amount.  She understood.  She apologized.

I do not think this is always how they do business, but my faith in their organization is shot now.  It shouldn't be this hard to try to do the right thing.  It shouldn't be so stressful to adopt a rescue pup and give them money in donation for giving me the perfect dog to round out our family. But it was.

She cited that they run on donations.  I get that.  But here's the thing:  I worked at a non-profit and I have a family friend who runs one.  They live and breath by donations, but those donations come in the form of peoples faith in the organization.  They believe in what the people are doing and believe they are doing it well, so they give money based on their ability to give and their faith and belief in what these people are doing.  They give based on their experience.

I had a piss poor experience with these people and thus have no faith in their organization.  They are doing a good thing, and I sincerely hope that we are a one time thing and that they usually do a better job.  But I can't give them so much money based on hope that they run their organization well, when we have experience the contrary.

I feel terrible that is has come to this.  I feel like a bad person.  I want so badly to give them more money, but I am worried about giving money to an organization that seems to be run so poorly, when I can give money to ones that aren't.  :(

I suppose everyone is going to think I'm a jerk now.  :(

1 Comments:

Blogger The Social Frog said...

I don't think you are a jerk. However, I would have still cut a new check for the same price. We adopted 2 of our dogs from a no-kill shelter and they really needed ALL the money we gave them and had this happened, although a bit sloppy, would not mean they deserve less money. Just MHO!

www.thesocialfrog.com

December 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home