<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Words to live by

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Words to live by

Steve Jobs passing was not a huge shock.  He had end stage cancer, and had for a while.  But he left us with a number of wonderful ideals to live by.


1.No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
2. When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
3.Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? We make tools for these kinds of people. While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
Ok, so the third one was actually from an Apple commercial, but none the less, these are ideals that we should all be so optimistic as to live by.
Sometimes you don't realize what has changed your life, or who, until they are gone.  A good friend of mine is losing someone he loves, very slowly.  We have all lost someone.  
Next month will mark the 10 year anniversary of having lost two very special people to me.  I lost them back to back in unrelated car accidents.  I was 18, thought I was invincible, and had told myself that my friend in a coma wouldn't die because God wouldn't take both of my friends like that.  I was so angry when he died.  I was more angry that he was in a car accident while I was attending one of my very good friends funerals.  The literal same day.  I was heart broken to have to learn, at such a young age, that people you love die.  And sometimes, it makes no sense.
My friend, who's funeral I was at.... She was one of the most beautiful people I have ever known.  She smiled all the time.  I loved her more than she ever knew.  I miss her more than I ever tell people.  I think of her so often.  She was supposed to work that weekend.  She wasn't even supposed to be camping in the mountains when the driver lost control on a gravel road.  She shouldn't have been sitting in the front seat, in the exact location where the car collided with the tree that killed her.  And she SHOULDN'T have been the only one seriously injured.  Why did everyone else walk away?  I will never know.  
I will never understand why she died, or why my other friend had to die so soon afterward.  It was just over a week.  He was in a coma.  They had removed part of his skull to help ease the pressure from the swelling in his brain.  One day, he just wasn't there anymore.  Why did he have a health issue that prevented him from being able to wear a seatbelt?  Why did that mean he was throw from his vehicle?  I will never know.
This all brings me back to today.  Steve Jobs was just the CEO of a major computer company.  He was just a guy.  But he was a guy who's ideas have touched us all.  And his thoughts and ideals of how we should live will resonate long after today.  
You never know who will be the people who touch your life.  And you probably won't even realize they have until they are gone.  I'm laughing as my friends post on FB how far reaching into their lives this mans ideas are.  How much have his inventions changed your life?  I'm typing this on my Mac as we speak.  
And my lovely Ivy and my wonderful Tanner.  How they touched my young life.  How I had no idea until they weren't there anymore.  But the best thing that ever happened to me, was realizing my own mortality.  When you're young, you don't think about dying, that is something you do when you are done living life.  But when you are young, and are faced with having lost people you love, young people like you, who have were just starting to live life.... Well, I learned that sometimes people die.  Someday, I too will die.  I will have no control over when.  That means I have no time to waste.  I need to love what I do.  I need to live life.  I need to love life.  You never know when it's gone.  
Steve Jobs what right, remembering that I'm going to die has been instrumental in my life in helping me make decisions.  I hope we can all remember his words, his passion and his ideals well into our futures.  They are important life lessons that some learn sooner than others.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home