<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: The newest DIY Queen!!!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, October 14, 2011

The newest DIY Queen!!!

Yes, I have joined the DIY movement.  :)  Mostly out of necessity.  We couldn't afford for me to buy all the fancy things I want for my office, so I decided to figure out how to repurpose some stuff and make the rest.

Here is my adventure in DIY office decorating:

So, I had a bunch of photo frames that had pictures in them that were random colors.  Most of them were a maple color, a few were various shades of red or maroon.  Many of them predated my relationship with my husband (the ugly ones, the belonged to him LOL!).  I took some left over spray paint and painted them all black.  I did purchase four additional frames.  They were buy one get one for a penny at Michael's, a craft store near my house.


About a week or so ago, I purchased a set of cubes, and one large cube unit to use in the office, but had no distinct plan for them.  I decided to use them purely as decoration.

I then used my hot glue gun to attach black ribbon the the backs of them so that I could hang them.  I didn't have any picture hangers on hand and was trying to do this as inexpensively has possible, so I simply made bows with the ribbon and then used the hot glue gun to attach them to the nail faces to hide them.  I got the idea to hang the frames with ribbon after seeing a frame I loved at the craft store that wasn't part of the special, but was hanging with ribbon.  I decided I really wanted to do something like that.
The little pails holding the pens etc were purchased at Michael's for $2 a piece and the little tins in between them were just 99 cents!!!  I found them in the wedding gift box aisle, they were advertise to be used for wedding favors.  I'm using them to hold paper clips and push pins. I'm currently debating about adding black ribbon or bows or something to them.  I'm not sure yet.

And of course, I have to have the USMC flag somewhere!!  LOL!

My best idea (which I stole from the blog I Heart Organizing) was the cork board.  I couldn't find one I liked that didn't cost a small fortune.  So, I used one of the frames I bought and removed the glass.  I purchased some squares of cork board, which came in a four pack for just a few bucks and trimmed them down to fit in the matting that came with the frame, then added a picture in the middle.  :)

The same blog had an example and free template of a little "To Do List."  I currently have it printed on white paper.  I would like to eventually make my own using all of my scrap booking stuff, but we'll see when/if I have time.  The matching frame to this one is currently empty.  I plan to paint the glass with the chalk board paint and use it as a little chalk board.  :)  The frames themselves were my husbands and were HIDEOUS!!!!  They were a weird color of red and looked plastic, in spite of being actual wood.  They had a weird boarder on them too.  But painted black, I actually think they look really nice.

I also wasn't sure what to do with my little set of three cubes.  I decided to hang them slightly off from each other and put Schmonkey and his bride on them.  I then added some little knick knacks we have that I didn't know what to do with.  We recently had family pictures done and I plan to frame one and hang it below these to make the wall feel a little more decorated.  It's a large blank wall and I would like there to be more to it.

So, that was my adventure into the DIY world.  It took me all day, but was really fun!

I have to get more ribbon to finish a few frames I was able to hang, but not cover the nails.

I think it turned out pretty nice.  :)  But I might be biased.  :)






3 Comments:

Blogger The Social Frog said...

Very nice! Sometimes simple, small things can really change up a room.

October 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger chambanachik said...

Very nice! I love the To Do list!

October 15, 2011 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Turner3109 said...

This looks nice and as if you had an HGTV show of your own the way decorating is so 'clean'. I love it :) I am a frame addict myself....I just don't know how to stop lol!

October 16, 2011 at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home