<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: My new addiction

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My new addiction

Hello, my name is A Girl and I'm an Etsy addict!

Well, I have a sinus infection complete with wicked, mind numbing, thought altering headache.  It means that I have had to forgo couponing for the last two weeks!!!!  To think of all of the things I could be buying for hardly any money!  My current stock pile ( the itty bitty one that I have started) is worth over $100 and I spent around $20.  :)  I'm doing pretty good so far!  If only I didn't have to give up the last few weeks.

Also, being stuck at home with two puppy age dogs is enough to give anyone a headache... I have spent the last two days wondering exactly why I thought getting another dog was a good idea, and why I told my husband that a 7 month old was ok.  I'm crazy and prefer to never have a dull moment, I guess.

Still being unemployed, this all affords me too much time and not enough money to do what I wish I could.  It also means I have been getting creative and dusting off many of my forgotten, handy, homemaker skills.

Skill #1- Cooking.  I'm not amazing, but I decent now.  Saving money 101, lesson one = cooking at home.  :)  We pretty much did that anyway though.

Skill #2- Resourcefulness.  So, I would have loved to have purchased brand new picture frames for my little office re-do, but I think the mismatched, but same color ones have turned out well.  And it's motivated me to do more repurposing around the house.  :)

Skill #3- Sewing.  I purchased an inexpensive dog bed for the new pup, knowing that I would be considerably less angry if she destroyed it.  I have, so far, sewn two corners back together, and will be doing a third shortly.  LOL!  It also means that I was able to sew the cover from our boy's bed back on.  He has figured out how to open zippers.  This means that my super smart, denim covered doughnut bed with removable outer layer for easy washing, was, in fact, a total waste.  He is unzipping it and eating the stuffing without ever damaging the bed.  So, I had to sew it shut.  Silly, smart dogs.  :)

Skill #4- Baking.  I'm an excellent baker.  :)  It's one of the few things I take true pride in.  And I happen to have some very good dog treat recipes.  Since I now have three dogs, one of which is in basic training at my house, and the other two who have decided to refuse to do anything without also getting treats... Well, you can see where this is going.  :)  Luckily, our new pup is super smart and very food motivated, so it's not taking nearly as many treats as the other two to train her, but expensive none the less, so I'm making my own now.

All this has led me to a wicked Etsy addiction.  It started with someone posting a super cute dog ID tag on FB and saying she saw it on Etsy.  It has led me to discover that there are sewing patterns and all kinds of stuff for great prices.  It has also led me to look for things other people are selling and figure out how I could make them for myself.

I LOVE to support people I know with Etsy shops.  And I love to support small business owners, but we are not in a place for me to be buying things I can make myself.  And it's given me some great ideas for Christmas gifts and baby gifts for a number of people we know.  :)

It has also led me to wish I had some fancier things... Like a nicer sewing machine that doesn't stick at random and decide to snag.  This is because I got the machine from my mother who bought it some time prior to my birth.  But it works and I'm usually able to trouble shoot it.  It will do for now.  And did I mention it was free?  HEHE!  It also has me longing for a fancy Cricut paper cutting machine, which I have wanted forever!!! And it has me very sad that I don't have a sewing machine that quilts or embroiders.  All things that would be handy.  But I'm sure I will make due.  :)

Oh, the things I can make!  

1 Comments:

Blogger chambanachik said...

Come give me sewing lessons! ;)

Hope you feel better soon.

October 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home