<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Is it possible to have too well of a trained dog?

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Is it possible to have too well of a trained dog?

So, my little one is a Min Pin.  We have accepted many of her not quite perfect executions of her commands because it has taken us three years to get this far.  Example- when I tell her to "down," she doesn't put her elbows all the way on the ground.  But it took me three years of training to get her to even bend them to begin with, so I call that a win.  She used to just stick her legs straight out in front of her, no bend in the elbows, in a half down, half sit.

Our big kid on the other hand, though a pain in the butt to train, we couldn't afford to have him be that way.  He's just too big.  Plus, he's a doberman.  If not well trained to listen, we would be in big trouble.  He executes most everything perfectly.

Both my dogs understand that basics- sit, down, crate, place (it's the same a go to your bed), wait, stay, no, that's enough (to stop barking or excessive behaviors), off, and leave it.  They both also walk on the leash at a right here, which is a semi heel position.

The Big Kid also shakes, rolls over, plays dead, high fives and drops it (a ball or toys).  The Little One, high fives, touches (touching her nose to my hand) and goes to the couch on command.

They both understand that all commands are done until released, though we still use the stay and wait commands.  This means, they can be pet and get treats, but they must continue to hold the command until we release them with an OK.

Well trained pups!!!

So, my husband and I decided to buy a tricks book to help them continue to learn and to continue to stimulate them mentally.

Today, I decided to teach The Little One to dance.  She has the basic concept down now.  She stands on her hind legs and follows the treat in a circle.  That one will take some time.  :)  I also decided to test how they would respond to learning to beg.  That is a tough one because they have to learn a good deal of balance.

Neither of my dogs would do it.  I put them in a sit and tried to get them to follow the treat up in the air, but they wouldn't unplant their front legs.  Even if I tried to help.  They are so well trained, that they won't learn to beg because lifting their feet in the air to follow a treat would be breaking the sit command.  LOL!

Who would have thought that would come back to bite me in the butt?  So, now I have to figure out how to train my dogs to beg without them thinking they are breaking commands... HHMMM!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home