<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: ER visits and work issues

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

ER visits and work issues

I woke up this AM to a 6 month old puppy refusing to eat breakfast.  He then tried to vomit a few times, but was unable to.  Then we found a chewed up squeaker in his kennel with no signs of what it came from.  Being a vet tech, I recognized right away that all of these things pointed to foreign body ingestion.  And, because he was unable to vomit, it meant that he needed X-rays ASAP to determine if he was obstructed or not.

I called work to see if they could fit us in for the xrays before lunch.  My office manager called me back.  She told me that I could drop my kid off and they would try to get him in "some time this afternoon."  This was at 11 am.  Well, ok, but what if he needs surgery?  No, he is not dying, but it's still kinda an emergency.  She also told me that I was putting her in the middle of things because I'm "essentially not an employee."  I'm not kidding.  Here I am thinking I am an employee and working hard with my doctors to get me released back to work and she tells me that I'm essentially not an employee and that she can't have me showing up to get xrays of my dog etc, not to mention, they need to take a two hour lunch.  That is our new policy, two hour lunches on Wend.

Here's my issue.  If I'm an employee then you find a way to squeeze me or not.  And if not, say you are sorry, and I go to the ER.  If I'm a client, not an employee, then you deem it an emergency, charge me the emergency fees and screw the two our lunch because the money I'm going to be paying for the everything will more than make up for it.

So, we ended up at the ER (the one I am going to be working for).  They took the radiographs.  Agreed that he had something in his stomach.  Did an ultrasound and found that the foreign body was stuck in his stomach and the first part of his intestines and determined he needed emergency surgery.  All said?  We put down a $2800 deposit.  You heard right.  That is $2800 that could have gone to my current hospital.  The hospital that is bitching about not making enough money.  But they turned us away.

The ER?  They apologized about not being able to give me the employee discount (which I didn't expect) but said maybe they could do something like credit me later.  What they did do was give me an industry discount.  Either way, I wouldn't have cared.  What is ridiculous is I don't care if I get a discount.  It doesn't change the fact that my dog ate something that is now stuck in his stomach and intestines.  It doesn't change the fact that he needs surgery.  It doesn't matter if I pay full price.  What matters is that my dog gets treated.

So, he is heading into surgery, probably right about now.  He will stay over night and we will, hopefully, be able to pick him up tomorrow.

I'm more than a little pissed.  My dog will be fine, I'm sure.  This is pretty routine stuff.  But I can't believe my manager!  So, I emailed my fellow techs and told them that I'm sorry, but will no longer be making any effort to return to work.  Having been told that they probably didn't want me to work my last three weeks, having been called at home while sick and told that my co-workers were upset that I was out sick, having the office manager try to guilt me into coming back to work because said employees can't have over time, then being told that I am "essentially not an employee" after I have been harassing my doctor to release me back to work... It's just not worth it.  I told me new job that I needed to give extra notice to make it easier on my work.  I did all kinds of stuff to make this work.  It's BS.  I am not going to bother to go back to work after being repeatedly told that I am basically not wanted.  It's a shame.  I've already heard back from my lead tech.  She is pissed.  She completely understands what I am saying.  She said my manager was being rude and was pissed that she was speaking on behalf of the other techs, but has never even talked to them about it.  Just goes to show, it's a good thing I'm leaving.

Now, we are just sitting at home and waiting to hear how the surgery went.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home