<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Again, I say BAHUMBUG!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Again, I say BAHUMBUG!

Just got home from the Dr. Got to have chest xrays to be sure that my lovely case of bronchitis has not turned into pneumonia. Lucky for me, it has not.

That said, I also got to have a rather fun nasal swab/culture done. If you have never had one, let me enlighten you. They take a cotton swab on a 6+ inch metal stick and shove it as far up your nose as it will go before you vomit/cough/gag/sneeze all over them. Then they rub it all around in there to be sure to get a good sample. I know you are all super jealous of me right now.

The extra fun part was being told that they are doing the swab to check for Pertusses AKA Whooping Cough. Lucky for me, it's super contagious. That means that work declined to let me go in tomorrow (we only have one patient on the books because it's Christmas Eve, so really, that's not a big deal for them). And it also means that there is a 99.9% chance that I will not be going to Christmas with my family. :(

I just can't risk getting them all sick in the event that my swab comes back positive on Monday. And, given the fact that Whooping Cough can last 6-10 weeks, I'm really looking forward to the start of my new year.

There is some debate about how long you shed Pertusses. It's said that it's only contagious for the first handful of weeks, but less so (maybe even not at all) once you have been treated with antibiotics. They recommend a 5 day course minimum prior to returnig to work... Which I have already had to treat the bronchitis. But, it's also said that it can be shed 4-14 weeks... Which would mean not working for a very long time. Either way, it's pretty craptastic.

So, as of now, I will be spending Christmas with my husband and my dog. I guess it could be worse... But that means no delicious Christmas brunch, no left overs for lunch, and no potluck/white elephant gift exchange for dinner. :( And no parents, no grandparents, no aunts, no uncles and no cousins to laugh the day away with. :( I'm super sad.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Social Frog said...

I am sorry, you wont be able to spend Christmas with your family. I do hope you feel better soon though. All of my family is far away so I will miss seeing them this year, we are also moving to Japan in May, so it will be many Christmasses without family. Life is still great though and I have much to be thankful for. I hope you can still have a Merry Christmas :)


www.thesocialfrog.com

December 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Just Another MilSpouse said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's bad enough to be sick, but over Christmas??? Geez, I hope you and your husband have a good time. Maybe you can take advantage of this time (silver lining type of thing) and have a romantic xmas just the two of you. If you are feeling well enough that is.

December 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

Oh sweets I command you to be better. Now!

December 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home