<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Snow

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Snow

It's snowing in Seattle... And all of the surrounding areas.

I live 7 minutes from my job. It look me 40 to get home today, and I almost didn't make it. It snowed, melted, then snowed again, so everything is covered in this lovely layer of snow with ice under it. I got stuck. Managed to get to the top of the hill and could have made the left turn onto the road to get home, but I had to stop for oncoming traffic. I lost all my good momentum and just slid right back down the hill. Funnily enough, nearly missing the crappy pickup truck that had three people in the cab and one in the bed who had just done the same thing. They were never going to make it up that hill though, not enough weight in the back.

But, I waited for them to try to push the truck up the hill, fail, then move out of the way. I made sure there were no headlights headed my way, backed up and used my slow momentum to go up the hill and make my turn while praying to God that whoever might be coming around the bend is also only going 5 mph so they would see me in time to hopefully slam the breaks and spin out of control in the other direction. (I know, not a good plan, nor very good karma LOL!)

Oh the joys of snow in Seattle... It know we don't get a lot, but we have hills like you wouldn't believe! I'm all for driving in the snow when it's flat like it is in the midwest, but when everywhere you turn there is a giant, or little, or bendy, or gravely, steep hill, not so fun.

My poor husband is not home yet. Last I heard, about 20 minutes ago, he was stuck at work... I should let you all know that in his civilian life he is a driver for a major delivery company. One that ships packages all over the US and the world. His truck was stuck on a hill on his route. They are not allowed to abandon the trucks (that's a lot of peoples property and money in that thing) so he had to just sit there and wait. One of his managers managed to make it out to him and drive his helper home, but he was still sitting there. His truck is going to have to be towed. It's too icy to try to move or even to put his chains on. At this point, if he takes the break off, his truck will go right into a ditch. So, they need to tow it and get him back to the package center so he can clock off and go home... The crappy thing is that the state Department of Transportation says that if he works 12 or more hours in one day he can't work the next day. So, his manager was trying desperately to get the tow truck out there and get hubby going so he would make it back in time, to clock off in time, to be able to work tomorrow. We'll see. It's almost 9pm and I haven't heard from him.

Gotta love the hills in the Seattle area! Makes for a good paycheck, but a crappy day... And my work ended up closing early because all of our evening appointments canceled due to weather... Let's hope tomorrow goes a bit better.

1 Comments:

Blogger JM PhotoArt said...

I just visited your lovely city and although I'm sure the hilly streets can make for a frustration some times :) enjoy what we don't have... the beautiful trees and water! :) PS I highlighted your infamous Gum Wall in my blog last night! Too fun!

November 23, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home