<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Crap

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crap

Yesterday I got paid. We have been working really hard to pay off all of our debt and are doing great. I took most of my paycheck to pay the last remaining $1000 on one of our credit cards so we can cancel it right away (That would put us down to one credit card to pay and that is it!). This was around 4pm.

I ate dinner and went to bed. (I got to bed at 6:30 because I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn for work). At 11pm, my husband woke me up and asked me if I had made any ATM withdraws that day. I hadn't. He showed me our account online and it showed two withdraws, one for $400 and one for $300, back to back.

I called the credit card company, but they couldn't cancel the transaction. In my excitement to have it paid off, I had scheduled the payment to withdraw same day- meaning, by 11pm, the transaction was already pending and could no longer be canceled. They agreed to not charge me for NSF.

But the banks were all closed. We called the after hours fraud line and got my debt card canceled, but couldn't investigate or do anything about the money being gone.

This morning, I called the bank. The transactions in question were one minute apart at the same ATM about 20 minutes from our house. They are investigating the incident and are crediting our account the money so our payment will still go through. We also plan to contact the police.

The crappy thing? My debit card is still in my wallet. No one stole it. That means someone copied it and stole my pin. I don't even know how! I only use my card once a week, to once every other week, to get gas. I always go to the same two gas stations, and have for years! How would they have gotten my stuff? So crappy!

I'm so frustrated! We are so careful about that kind of stuff! We don't give info out. We don't ever let people borrow our cards. We secure everything we do. We are super cautious. But I guess it can happen to anyone. My husband said he looked up online and found info about really ingenious ways people steal your info... Including these crazy things that they hook to ATMs, and other places you use your pin number, that will copy your magnetic strip and record your pin number.

UUHHHHGGGG!

4 Comments:

Blogger Marine Wife Unplugged said...

WOW!!! THAT SUCKS!!! :( I'm glad you're going to the police about it and everything! I'd be freaking out, too. Thank God for online banking so we can track that kind of stuff!

October 6, 2010 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Just Another MilSpouse said...

That's terrible. I'm glad your husband caught it early though. I agree with Marine Wife, it's a good thing you are going to the police. Catch this guy so he doesn't do it to any more people!

P.S. Congrats on the payoff! It's such a great feeling to pay down debt like that.

October 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Mr. Superman & Mrs. S. said...

That sucks but I'm glad for the most part its worked out. You are actually now (its a semi new thing banks are saying) never ever supposed to use your debit and enter your pin at gas stations. Cash or credit because a debit card is extremely easy to copy from a gas pump. Its happened to us and so many other people I know. Stupid dishonest people!

October 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

this same thing happened to me, someone got my debit card number and made several hundred dollar charges in a few minutes. i was totally creeped out because my card was in my wallet! ahh!

anyways, love your blog - found you on 20SB!

http://t-h-i-n-g-s-i-l-o-v-e.blogspot.com/

October 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home