<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Sick

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Sick

In large animal, two days a week I get off early. Earlier this week, I verified it was ok for me to go home. I was told it was fine, that the students were just going to head to the dairy again and that I probably didn't want to go because some people had come back from the dairy with Camplobacteriosis.

Campylobacter is a nasty little bacteria that causes a rather crappy illness. Cows carry it. You can get it from eating undercooked meat (pork, chicken, or beef) or from eating unpasteurized food. It's actually more common that you think, with several million cases reported each year... And it happens to be a hazard of my job working with animals that I may or may not contract a zoonotic disease. In all reality, Campylobacter is not the worst thing I can get.

That said, yesterday I woke up not feeling well. During the day, I developed nondescript abdominal pain. I opted to skip the evening trip to the dairy and stay back at the hospital. Today, I woke up feeling much worse, and my abdominal pain is worse too. I went into the hospital to work and my supervisor said I could go home and go to the doctor. Which I did.

A physical exam, blood work, and x-rays turned up nothing too revealing. None of those things will tell me if I, too, contracted Campylobacteriosis, but were done to see if anything else may be causing me discomfort. I was given a prescription for antibiotics, in the event I do develop the rest of the symptoms (it starts with nondescript ab pain, then turns into horrible diarrhea a few days later... I know, I know TMI) I went to the store and bought Gatoraide just in case.

I start work in the ICU next week and really can't afford to be sick. I need the hours to graduate and don't want to get any compromised patients ill... Thought I'm not 100% I can pass this on to animals... I know I can to people, but only through fluid exchange.

We'll see how I feel in a few days. But, hey, I get all day today to study for my licensing exam. Now, if only I could force myself to do that. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger It's Something Beautiful said...

Oh no :( I hope you feel better soon! Keep us updated.

www.life-itssomethingbeautiful.blogspot.com

July 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger It's Something Beautiful said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger It's Something Beautiful said...

Oh no :( I hope you feel better soon! Keep us updated.

www.life-itssomethingbeautiful.blogspot.com

July 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home