<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Yeah more stress!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yeah more stress!

So, my friend has surgery practicum this week. I decided to go and give her moral support. :)

So, I've been at school all day for the last two days. Today was surgery day. Not so bad, since I'm not the one doing surgery practicum, right? Wrong. Our school vet (and did I mention my program director?) asked me to do her a favor. To which I replied, "depends on what it is." LOL! She asked a very simple thing. She asked me to do a fecal on her dog. For those of you not in the the vet field (which I think is all of you. HEHE) a fecal is done in a number of ways. At school we spin the feces down with a special liquid and then let it sit for 10 minutes. This allows various parasitic eggs or larva to float to the top so we can identify what the dog might have. We place the top bit of liquid on a slide and look at it under a microscope.

This is really no big deal and is not difficult at all. She tells me she's going to go get the feces out of her car (don't worry, it was in a bag. :) ) She then mentions, on the way out the door, that she would like me to do blood work. This is stressful. It's my program directors own, personal dog. I would really prefer not to mess up, or have a difficult time and cause huge hematomas all over the place (bruises). She also wants a jugular stick, which is something I struggle with. No pressure, right?

So, she hands me the feces and the dog. I start prepping my stuff for the fecal and she says, "Oh, yeah, and I would also like you to get chest radiographs (x-rays) if you wouldn't mind."

How on earth do I get talked into this sorta stuff?! I went from doing a basic, simple, fecal, to a full diagnostic work up. I enlisted the help of a fellow student, because I can't do this stuff alone. Oh, and since it was surgery day, I had to do it all without supervision.

On the one hand, it's nice that my program director trusts me. On the other hand, super stressful!

I couldn't get the blood draw, her dog has horrible veins, so a teacher had to do it. I did get the radiographs, but her dog fought us the whole time, so they were just ok. And the fecal went just fine... But holy cow. Stress I really didn't need. (sigh)

GEEZE! I hope I can sleep it off tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home