<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Holy Cow!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Holy Cow!

Man, am I stressed out!

Good news? I have been acing all the tests I thought I was doing poorly on. Bad news? Surgery Practicum.

I don't know if I have talked about it before, but here's the deal:

In my program we are required to do practical skills. Many of them are done in class on dummies. But we are required to do two surgery practicums (where our program director, who is a vet, performs surgery on patients and we act as the tech) during which we must prove our practical skills. These skills include taking histories, giving injections (both Intravenous and subcutaneous), physical exams, placing intravenous catheters, inducing and monitoring anesthesia, recovering patients after anesthesia etc, etc, etc.

The bummer is, just after my first one, the skills changed to pass/fail. That means no help. During my first one, I could ask if I forgot things or say I didn't know how to do things. Now, I can't ask questions at all, I just have to know how to do things and I can't get any help. I'm not being graded pass/fail because I did my first one before the skills changed, but I have to follow the rules. I'm so stressed.

Not only am I going to be under the watch full eye of my program director, while performing skills I've only done a few times, with no help, she also likes to pester us with questions. They range from pharmacology questions about the drugs we use, to anatomy questions about the body parts she is doing surgery on... I have not had anatomy, so I have to spend Sunday teaching myself. Those questions are considered part of my skills, so I have to know the answer. No pressure. None at all. I just have to perform the skills, answer the questions and do it all with no help or guidance while being watch by my program director and a room full of students observing me. GEESH!

If that wasn't stressful enough, I still have to attend class. Surgery is during the day, but it runs into the evening, so I miss part of class to do it. Including the test I have Tuesday. My teacher was nice enough to tell me I could take it Wend instead... Thank God! Tuesday is surgery day, so it's a really long day because it's the day we actually perform surgery and recovery etc. Busy day. I'm going to be so fried by the end of it. I have to be at school at 12pm, and then head to class, so I'm there for 10 hours Monday and Tuesday. Then Thursday is discharge day, when the patients go home, so I also have to be there at 12.

Thank God it's my last one and then I'm done. 10 weeks left of class, one surgery practicum (soon to be zero) and a six week externship... Then I'm done! I'll be all graduated!

Oh, did I mention that next week is cat week? So, I not only have surgery practicum, but two patients because, when we do cats, we always do a spay and a neuter (each tech gets two). So, two patients... So STRESSFUL! Oh, and we have seven cats coming in, which means one team will get three patients! I hope it's not me! (team's are a vet tech, vet tech student, and an assistant)

Ugh! Wish me luck that I survive!

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Wishing you lots of luck!

April 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

YIKES! Good luck lady!

April 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home