<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: I miss being a housewife

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, February 1, 2010

I miss being a housewife

I am realizing today, exactly how much I miss being a housewife. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy having a job. Even more than working, I love bringing in money and helping financially. I like having a place to be everyday. School is an extension of that. I get up and do homework and study all day long, then I go to school. I like that.

But man, I miss being a housewife. I miss keeping the house spotless. I miss being able to do laundry in the middle of the week. I miss having clean bathrooms. I miss walking my dog everyday. I miss being home for my husband when he gets home from work. I can't cook worth a darn, so I won't say anything about having a delicious meal ready for him. But I miss having dinner with him everyday.

I really loved being a homemaker. My husband and I agreed early on that I would work part time so I can could continue to do that. But I decided I want to work full time for a few years. We have debt to pay off and I want to save up a ton of money and really get our retirement accounts full before going back to being a housewife. We have responsibilities and such that only make it make sense for me to work full time... But to let you in on a little secret: I have never worked full time in my life. Not a single day. I have never worked more than 30 hours in a work week and that was rare. What if I don't like to work full time? I imagine it is exhausting. I picture being tired all the time and never having time for anything.

My husband has agreed that we will not work full time without help. I will hire back my housekeeper and we already have a dog walker. I can't imagine working all day long, every day, then coming home and cleaning the house. I have so much respect for people who are able to keep their houses neat and clean and work full time. In fact, I have so much respect for people who work full time in general. I did work full time during my externship, but it was unpaid and part of school, so I don't really count it. But I guess I did get a lot of stuff done. I worked four tens and I cleaned on Friday. But man, was I tired all the time.

No, I just don't see myself working full time forever. I want to be a housewife. I miss being a housewife. I did get bored sometimes, that is true, but over all, I managed to keep busy all day long. I miss that.

***

On an unrelated note: When it rains at my house, it pours. We are still broke, though our bills were paid thanks in large part to a very generous, no-interest loan from my parents. However, we will not be able to catch up as we had hoped. Our washer and dryer broke this weekend. :( It's a stacked, so it's one unit. We knew this day was coming. We have been pricing new ones pretty much since we bought the house a year ago, but the day has finally come. The dryer does not dry. It takes two cycles to get our cloths dry enough to hang up. I say dry enough, because they are still not all the way dry. :( We are waiting until the President's Day (week) sales to buy a new one. Hopefully we can get a good, no APR for a year, financing deal. We won't be able to buy the beautiful washer and dryer of my dreams, but we should be able to get a decent one. Our stove is broken too, but it's just one burner and my husband thinks he can fix it. And it's only a matter of time before the dishwasher and water heater go out too. We have been pricing all of these things... We've just been hoping they last long enough for us to save up some money to pay for them. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger d.a.r. said...

Wow, I cannot imagine the luxury of not working and having a housekeeper and a dog walker! Not working is just not something I've ever considered, even after having kids. I think I would go stir crazy in the house all day, all alone!! Plus, I love my stuff. And that stuff costs money.

Personally, I'd rather work a lot than have to borrow money or be in debt!!

February 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home