<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: I do not...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I do not...

I do not have a house keeper. I do not, currently, have a dog walker.

Those are two luxuries that we can not afford at this time. As a homemaker, I did not have either of these things. How lazy would I have to be to have a house keeper and a dog walker if I don't work.

I currently spend about 10 hours a day on school. Whether it's homework, studying, or actual class time. My program is very demanding. When my husband was away, I had a house keeper and a dog walker to make sure that those things were getting done when I had no one here to help me. Saturday and Sunday are homework days and I routinely spend a minimum of six to eight hours on homework on those days. I now have my husband home and he helps a great deal. I no longer need a housekeeper because he helps me clean in my spare time.

We talked about bringing the dog walker back. My husband works 12 hours a day and is too tire to walk the dog when he gets home. She only gets walked on the weekends right now, and we worry that that is not enough. However, we can not hire her back until we have money in the bank, or we would be the most financially irresponsible people on earth.

The fact remains that a lot of people seem to have issues with anyone who doesn't work. I appreciate anyone who does. I think it's great if you enjoy it. I enjoy working. I like having a job. But I look at being a wife, and a housewife, as a job. It's one that my husband values very highly. No, it's true, that would not work for everyone. No, not everyone would enjoy not working. Some can't afford it. But my husband makes a great deal of money at his civilian job and, as soon as the military finally pays us and we are caught up, it's a life style we can afford.

I'm sorry that so many people take issues with housewives. I honestly don't understand why. I love bringing home a paycheck, that is totally true. I miss having a job most of the time. But I enjoy being home and taking care of everything here. I love doing laundry and having the time to wash my floors every other day. I like dusting and cleaning in general. I like having time to do dishes by hand. I love being able to devote a few hours to taking my dog on a nice long walk.
I look forward to graduating from school and getting a job. I'm excited about my field and all the opportunities I have before me. I'm excited for having extra money coming in so that we can do all the things we can't do on a single income, like own a horse or buy nice cars. But the fact remains, that my husband prefers me to be home and I will always do my best to honor that.

We have very little debt. We will have school loans to pay when I graduate, but I got a grant from the military, so it won't be much. We usually have money in the bank as well and I have blogged about why we don't.

I have no problem with people who want to work, I have no issue with people who have to work, I have no issue with anyone who does anything that works in their life, their lifestyle, or their marriage. I only ask that people be respectful. Just because our lifestyle would not work for you, doesn't make it wrong or bad. It works for us.

There is nothing wrong with being a housewife. It doesn't make me lazy, or unAmerican. I often joke that my husband wants a wife from the 50's. It's sorta true. But I'm ok with that. If it makes him happy, and it doesn't hurt me or my ideals, what's the big deal?


3 Comments:

Blogger ABW said...

Sorry you got a hurtful comment. I have worked, and I have stayed home, and then I worked again, and now I am home again. I do volunteer right now, plus I cart my Abs to her appointments all week, almost every day. You have to choose what is right for you and your family, just ignore everyone else.

February 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Being a housewife is such a great job:) And one that is rarely appreciated. Nothing wrong with enjoying it and loving it! EMBRACE IT!

February 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Noel said...

I just found your blog, and have only read a few entries, but I already LOVE it.

People have said to me before, 'don't you miss working?' and 'don't you feel bad for not working?' to which i reply, "I am in school full time, and if it isn't hurting us for me to be in school full time, and it's what I want to do, what HE wants me to do, and what I can afford, I really don't see the issue."

I had a job for years, and I finally quit it to concentrate on school, because it was in my best interests. I rather enjoy staying home and making sure all the little things are done.

February 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home