<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: School, life, everything

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, January 29, 2010

School, life, everything

We went to an animal rescue yesterday... Well, more of a sanctuary. They do farm animals, though they also take in dogs and cats.

I herded pigs, I got rammed by two goats, once while I was drawing blood on another goat. I wrestled with llamas and won, though he stepped on my foot and it may be broken now. I also drew blood on an angry llama that reared up every time I got the needle in the vein. I was molested by three goats and battles some sheep. All in all, a very productive day.

I had so much fun. I'm tired, and very, very sore, but it was great. How fun would it be if that was my job!?

I just wish all of last week had gone so well. You see, it was finals week. Yes, finals week. The week that I dread every seven weeks of my life. I had a research paper due, and two finals to study for. And some how, I think I managed to pass everything and keep my 4.0.

Let me explain... I give in to peer pressure very easily when it comes to drinking. A friend of mine, and a recent inductee into the USMC Wives Club, is being stationed in North Carolina and had a going away party Friday night. I went and got talked into drinking... A lot. I haven't been that drunk in a long time. I was still drunk in the morning. In fact, I was still drunk until around 9am and I stopped drinking at 12am. Too drunk for my own good. I can't sleep when I drink, so I was tired too. I really needed to work on my final paper and study for the first of my two finals.... I did neither. I slept all day, then all night.

Sunday, I scrambled like hell to put the finishing touches on my paper and make note cards for my final. A friend graciously allowed my to come over on Monday and help me cram. Tuesday, I crammed some more and made note cards for my second final. But I also had to be at school to get my patient examined for my first surgery practicum. It was a very full day. Oh, and did I mentions that after I presented my final paper, I forgot to turn it in? Yeah, that was awesome. Oh, yeah, and I found out that my surgery practicum skills are pass/fail. Either I can place an IV catheter or I can't. I'm so going to fail!

Somehow it all worked out. My teacher accepted my late paper and gave me full credit because she saw it when it was due, I just forgot to hand it in. And my finals? Well, I managed a 91% on my first one. It's a B, but a high B. And considering I didn't have much time to study for it, I'll take it. I even managed a 98% in the class. My other final? Well, that didn't go as well. It was brutal. If I managed a B, I will be surprised. I don't think I will lose my A in the class, but that final nearly killed me. I went home and had nightmares about all the questions I couldn't answer and how, now, I was going to kill patients for not knowing those things. It was horrible.

The military still owes us money. And a lot of money. For a while, they owed us two paychecks, but we did, finally, get one of them (just not the big one). We had to borrow money from my parents because we couldn't pay our house payment, nor any of our other bills. We tried to get assistance from all those groups that give out money to military families, but we were told we didn't qualify because my husband didn't come home injured and we don't have kids. It was so frustrating. My parents weren't too happy about giving us three grand to pay our bills. I just hope we get paid soon. What are we going to do if money doesn't start coming in?

All in all, an extremely stressful week. I passed my classes, thank God. That's all I can really hope for anymore. We are always so broke and everything else never seems to be going right, but I can count on school to be the same. Stressful and crazy, but I always know that if I study and apply myself, I will be fine. Not so much with the rest of life.

My husband and I are doing much better. Not great, but better. We don't fight as much, but I think that's because he has gone back to work and isn't home all the time. For now, it's mostly peaceful here. That is about as much as I am able to hope for. Peace.

Thank God it's tax season. I'm hoping we get a big return this year. I need a bunch of stuff for school, and none of it is cheap... Plus, I've got to start saving up to take my state and national licensing exams. Not cheap either.

HOHUM! Some day, life will go a bit more smoothly. It's all temporary, right? School, being broke, readjustment after a deployment... It all gets better somewhere down the road. It just has to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs P said...

that job does sound fun! I'm so envious you get to work with animals!! Have you tried Navy Marine Corps Emergency Relief for your financial woes??

January 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

We have used the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society before, but unfortunately, we don't qualify for much because my husband is no longer on active duty. Most of those org.s are only for active duty people. He is back at his civilian job now, so we don't have many options. :(

January 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home