<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: The Military

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Military

I know I have been really down on the military lately. Like most wives, I have a tumultuous relationship with the military, and the Marine Corps specifically. We have our ups and downs. Some days, I couldn't be prouder of my husband and his service. Some days, I can't wait until he's out. But the reality is, the military has been good to us.

I think back to the old days. Days before I was born. I think back to times when there was no support for military families. Days when the country didn't stand by their Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen. Days when, if you were against the war, you were against the military. I think back to times when wives were notified by telegram that their husbands had died. How hard must have all of that been.

My husband has a wealth of support at his disposal. And, though not all, most civilians stop to shake his hand and thank him for his service to our country. We have non-profits to turn to when things get tough, when we don't get paid, or when we simply can't support ourselves on military pay or in this military life.

I have groups to join and blogs to read. I have wives to talk to from all over the country. The presidents wife has recognized the military family and made it her mission to better support us. We have commissary privileges and a Navy Exchange near by. Movies have been made to honor those that have come before, stories have been written.

All in all, this day in age, it's not so bad to be married to the military. There is so much more out there for us then there ever was before. There is so much more support. It is true that I had people say insensitive things to me during the deployment. It's true that my civilian friends were less than supportive. I had a rough deployment. However, it shaped me. It changed me. I became strong and independent. I became resilient. There is nothing I can't handle now. I was so soft before. I was so unsure. Now, I am confident that I can handle life. Military life can be very hard at times. Sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I say to myself, "If I knew then what I know now..." But the truth is, I still would have married my husband. I married a man, not a uniform. And I took what came with that man, which was his uniform. And, all in all, the military has been good to us.

My husband is re-enlisting in August. We have at least two more years to go. Here's a cheer to two more good years serving our country! HEAR! HEAR!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home