<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: The dairy farm

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

The dairy farm

So, today was my field trip to the dairy farm. It was pretty awesome.

I have a ton of homework to do this weekend, so I'll keep my post short.

I drew blood twice, but one time I hit an artery. Not too bid a deal, the site I was drawing from has a vein and an artery right next to each other and it happens all the time. I did get a bit of poop splatter. It sorta happens and there is nothing you can do to avoid it. It's a dairy with four hundred cows. We worked on about 30 of them. They are all lined up and dirty and you sorta have to wedge your way in. You are bound to get pooped on. It's a hazard of the job.

I pilled a cow. That was fun. The first time, she spit half of it out. The second time, I held her mouth shut and her head up so she had no choice but to swallow. LOL. It worked. She did managed to drool a fair amount on me. I had to wash my jacket when I got home because she got slobber all over it. She even tried to eat my stethoscope. A classmate had to grab it off my neck to get it out of the way while I was trying to get her restrained.

We milked them to run tests and did physical exams on them. It was pretty fun. Just really cold and really poopy. It was muddy and raining, so we had the mud to contend with and in that mud was two inches of urine and feces. Luckily, it as cold, so it didn't stink. If it were summer, it would have reeked to high heaven.

Most of the cows were pretty docile. They are used to being handled, because they are milked twice a day. But we did have a few fighters. Mostly my cows. I had a knack for picking difficult cows. My first cow fought so hard against the blood draw that she fell down and we had to release her. My second blood draw cow tried to head butt me repeatedly. But it was fun and I managed to get all my skills signed off on on the first try.

I'm freezing and trying to warm up. And I still have homework to do today. :( But it was a fun day.

Our next field trip is goats. I'm super excited about that. I'm pretty excited about large animal medicine in general. It's a tough class. There is way too much work. Add that to my other two classes and I'm in overwhelmed, work overload. I will be really happy when I go to having just two classes. Just a few more weeks to go and school will calm down a bit... Hopefully.

AHH, homework here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home