<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Outrageous!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Outrageous!

Did you hear? The University of California is raising tuition 32%! You heard right! 32 freaking percent!

The first hike kicks in in January and will cost the students an extra $585 a semester. The second hike will be an extra $1344!

So if you had dreams of attending UCLA or Berkley, you might want to think twice. Who knows what out of state tuition is going to be. I'm so shocked. In these hard economic times, most people are barely making tuition as it is. And what will that mean to all those people who don't qualify for financial aid, but don't make enough to fully cover tuition? I'm one of those people... I have never qualified for financial aid. Instead, I struggled for years, often working two jobs to pay tuition at college because my parents couldn't afford to help me, but made too much money for me to get financial assistance. In all fairness, I don't attend the University of California, but I am outraged on behalf of all of those students struggling to make ends meet.

What will happen to the single moms, the people supporting siblings or parents. The kids who's parents can't afford to help them with tuition, though the parents income is factored into their ability to qualify for financial aid? What will happen to those who already work two jobs to make ends meet? In a country that has a growing unemployment rate... In a state that is bankrupt... At a school that is public and supposed to be for those middle class and low income students...

When my former college raised tuition 9% one year, I had a heart attack. I barely made tuition that year. That is the year I finally had to drop out because I could no longer afford tuition at a school that was canceling all of my classes as it was. I feel so bad for all the students at U of C.

They said they are doing this to cover budget cuts. They have already cut teachers salaries. But how do they expect to pay for all their expenses if no one can afford to attend their school? What are they going to do when student begin dropping out and fewer applications come in? What are they going to do when no one can afford to attend, so they go somewhere else?

The students protested. They had sit ins. They picketed. They did not take this laying down, but it did no good. The school held their meeting and voted the tuition hike in to being anyway. Good for the students (and a few teachers), it's just too bad that their voice wasn't heard.

I can't believe it. I'm shocked. I'm in disbelief. 32%. That is a ton of money. It's an outrageous tuition increase. It's a big, damn shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger d.a.r. said...

While I absolutely agree that a 32% hike is insane, it is the sad sad reality of our society right now. These schools wouldn't be able to stay open without it. And both berkley and ucla, while technically state schools are of the caliber that they draw more international students and kids from other states than in-state lower/middle class students. Thei entrance requirements are as such that they tend to thin the in-state average joes out quite a bit. It still sucks, for sure, but in a state that is bankrupt, they probably have little other options. I read somewhere that tuition rates are expected to triple in the next decade. Can't wait to put my kids through college!

November 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

It really is sad. I'm in the same boat. Make too much to qualify for financial aid but its hard to pay for it on my own. I'm just taking two or three classes a semester so it makes it a little easier.

It ticks me off that there is no help for people like us. And I'm not interested in Student Loans.

November 20, 2009 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger . Becca . said...

That is insane. They're also imposing a 10% tax on your annual salary here.

Fantastic. Who can AFFORD to live in California. I'm just thankful that we're military and don't have to pay state taxes.

It's too bad that the tax payers have to pay because of often frivolous spending habits of our "leaders." Sigh.

November 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home