<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: OH DEAR LORD!!!!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

OH DEAR LORD!!!!

Ok, I haven't had more than 5 hours of sleep a night since I started school (including weekends). I lay in bed and stress about all the things I still need to study. I wake up early to study all day long. I'm stressed, I'm anxious, I'm exhausted.

But here is my ray of light in an otherwise cloudy set of seven weeks:

We received our midterm grades. I have 104% in pharmacology, the hardest class. I have a 98% in dentistry, should be 100%, but it is right after pharmacology and my brain is so fried that I make stupid mistakes on my tests. And... drum roll please.... 95% in surgery. I was pretty sure I was failing this class, literally. She gave us that really unfair test that we all thought we failed. She, however, graded it extremely liberally. My friend had a wrong answer. I'm talking, couldn't be farther from correct if you tried and she got full credit. I didn't read a question fully and only gave a partial answer and got full credit. She was extremely lenient. So, good homework grades, 100% on my first exam and 92% (which is a B at my school) on my other two, translates into a 95%. All I have to do is get low A's on my finals and not mess up on my lab skills and I may manage to come out of the hardest sequence with a 4.0.

This week has been particularly hard. No sleep and two wicked hard tests has been making me crazy. I actually thought I was going to fail my pharmacology test today. I studied for 6 hours, never managed to get the behavior medications down and couldn't keep all the drugs and what they do straight. Add in some chemistry and "physical properties" of inhaled anesthetics, and I couldn't think straight. I went to a study session with some friends and didn't know a single answer.

I got the test and remembered enough to wiz through the true/false and multiple choice. I drew a 100% blank on the short answer. But damn it, I knew the answers to the extra credit questions. I did all the pharmacy math and double checked all the questions I had answered and went on to tackle those short answers. A few I managed to remember. But two, I was dumbfounded on.

Question 1: What is another name for dissociative drugs? I had no clue. None, zip, zero. Here's what saved me... Before class my teacher told us we had to know what NmDa stood for and how to spell it (she was clarifying it for a fellow student). Well, I didn't see anything else on the test that related to NmDa. So I wrote in N-methyl-D-aspertate, since that is what is stands for and I didn't see anywhere else it fit on the test. And it was right! Lucky guess and good use of logic. :)

Question 2: What is the definition of MAC? Well, it's one of those damn physical properties and I had no idea. However, I did know the definition of all of the other physical properties. So I listed off things I remembered that sounded like definitions until I recalled one that sounded like it could be right. It's "the lowest concentration of anesthesia needed to produce no pain response in 50% of patients subjected to painful stimuli" by the way. I was one of only two people in the class to get it right.

I got partial credit on a few questions, but got all the extra credit, so I came out of it plus 2, which translated into a 104%!!!!!!!!!

Pardon my french, but HOLY SHIT!!!! It was pure luck and good use of logic, but I'm not going to argue how I got there, because I did.

I don't get to sleep in tomorrow, but I have very little homework since we are mostly prepping for finals next week. I do have two tests next week, but I think I'll be ok, and at this point, I would really have to F*** up to fail any classes.

Who says hard work, no sleep and 7 hours of studying a day doesn't pay off?

And to make it an even better time, my hubby is home for the weekend tomorrow and Monday marks the start of the last two weeks until he is home for good.

All I have to do is not drive myself crazy over finals. I'm stressed and freaked out that we aren't reviewing in pharmacology and worried that if I don't get some sleep soon, I'm going to have a nervous break down. But damn it, I will still have passed all my classes. It's all about priorities right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Way to go!!!

November 13, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home