<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: National Military Family Month

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, November 20, 2009

National Military Family Month

I received a letter at the end of October from my husbands command. It was a letter from the President announcing that November is National Military Family Month. It was a well written and thoughtful letter thanking the families that serve along side our husbands (and wives). I posted this fact on my facebook and emailed the letter to those who I thought would appreciate it and got a fairly nice response. Most people were happy that we were being recognized.

Today, (this evening, in the middle of the night because I can't sleep because I'm stressing about finals) I opened up my Military Spouse magazine. It has a lovely little article about a speech the First Lady gave.

She attended a homecoming ceremony for the USS Eisenhower Carrier and had this to say about our military families (I'm only posting parts of the speech):

"Providing our military and their families with the support they deserve requires more than a good government, it requires active citizens. And this is why I've made it a personal priority to ask all Americans to join the cause of supporting our military families. We must remember that when our troops deployed their families are left behind and faced with an entirely different set of duties...
I have seen the sacrifices of our military families up close. They are quiet heros who represent the best in our country...
Let us make a pledge right here today to honor their service by doing more to serve them in our own communities. Let's do simple things, like offer to help with a carpool. Simple things, like bringing over dinner. Simple things, like being a shoulder to cry on or a friend to talk to, be a neighbor, be a friend...
If you have an opportunity, just reach out and simply say thank you- sometimes that goes a long way- say thank you to the spouses and children or our military members and thank them for their sacrifice because it is real and it is powerful...
Every single time I meet someone in uniform I am more proud of my country, because people are sacrificing and serving with a level of dignity and honor that we should all be proud of. So I will us every ounce of my power in this position to highlight the sacrifices you make and to rally our country around you. And it won't stop today."

I may not always agree with our president or first lady.... I don't alway love our government... But it is so nice to hear a woman in Michelle Obama's position acknowledging those of us who stand by our service men/women. We make a lot of sacrifices. We go through a lot alone. We hide our fears, we stand strong (even when we don't want to), we smile when we are crying inside, we love under the best and worst conditions, we are faithful under the toughest conditions, we suffer, we laugh, we love, and most of all we share our husbands with the rest of our country. We know a loyalty that most never will. We know the importance of midnight phone calls. We understand that sometimes they don't come home, but we love them and support them anyway. We know worry like most will never understand. But we also have an appreciation for all the little things you miss during a deployment. I never thought I would miss arguing with my husband or him coming home late from work (which I missed when he couldn't come home at all). I never thought I would miss him eating all the good snacks behind my back, or endless hours of video games. But I missed all the little things that I have when I know he is home safe.

Military wives are some of the best people I know. They are definitely the strongest. And someone out there is rooting for us. Someone out there is trying to show the country that when our men leave for war, we are left behind. Let's hope this translates into better support for spouses and families. If the First Lady keeps her promise and really does raise awareness, maybe the rest of the country will finally see us and recognize all we go through... And will stop saying stupid, insensitive things to us while our husbands are gone. LOL Then I wouldn't need to email people the 14 things you should never say to a military wife (look up previous post if you haven't read it).

Yeah for Military Family month and yeah for Michelle Obama...

1 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

What a beautiful post!

November 20, 2009 at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home