<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: This coming week...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

This coming week...

I don't know how much blogging I will do in the coming week...

My husband decided to take leave because I start school in one week. Yep, a week is all I have left. And once I am back at school, we will never see each other or talk. He works all day and I go to school at night. We won't have weekends for a while either. They day after I start school, he will be leaving for a training mission down in California.

Yes, I know, he just got home. How can he already be leaving again? But since he is still on active duty, that means there is still work to be done. So a group of men from his unit are going down to Cali for two weeks. There will be little to no contact, especially since I will be in school.

So he will be home for nine days... Thank God they don't count the weekend as part of his leave. We don't have any major plans. Mostly we are going to sit at home and play video games. I have a few meetings at school, so that will take up some of our time together.

The one thing we are planning to do is go to the Zoo.

We got married at the Seattle Aquarium. Someday I will post pictures, because it was an absolutely stunning backdrop. We got married there because the aquarium is my favorite place in Seattle. The zoo runs a close second. I'm a huge dork, I know, but I love it.

We went back to the aquarium just before my husband left for Iraq. We hadn't been since the wedding. But the zoo, holds a special place in our hearts. My husband proposed to me three times. Yes, three. Don't worry, I said yes all three times. But the truth is, the third one is the one we count. Here's why:

When we were dating we talked a bit about getting married, but neither of us were ready, so we made a joke of it. My husband would pretend to propose to me in ridiculous places... Like the drive through of a McDonalds. So I was in the habit of saying, "it doesn't count if there is no ring."

Well, I threw him a huge surprise birthday party for his 25th birthday. I had to borrow some tables from my mom for it, so the next day, a Sunday, June 3rd, 2007, we were driving down south to give them back. He said to me, on our way to the freeway, "we should get married." I said, "It doesn't count if you don't have a ring." He dropped it.

On the way back to the freeway from my parents house, he said it again and I replied the same. He then said, "Well, I have a friend in the diamond business." Which is the slogan for Shane Company Jewelers, a small, but wonderful, chain of jewelry stores. So he took me there and let me pick out my own ring.

He decided he needed a mulligan on my proposal because it wasn't romantic. So he tried again a few days later, while we were moving into our first apartment together. He just walked up to me and said, "will you marry me," and gave me a purple, heart shaped, plastic ring he got out of toy dispenser at the local grocery store (my ring was still being set). He then said, "wait, another mulligan, I can do better."

We moved into our new apartment, way far up north and he promptly left two days later for a training mission in Australia. He was gone for a whole month, with no contact. I sat at home and cried. It was a horrible way to start our engagement.

So when he got home, he took me to the zoo one day for no reason and took me to the hippo enclosure. Dusk was falling, and the zoo was about to close. We had been there all day and this was our last stop. Most people don't know this, but hippos generally only leave the water at dusk to forage for food. So it is really rare to see them outside of the water. Well, just as the first hippo walked to shore and I gasped at how excited I was to see it, he got down on one knee with my funny plastic ring and proposed. He then gave me a bunch of orchids, my favorite flower.

This is the story I tell when I tell people how he proposed. It counts, I think, because he called mulligan on the others.

So while we go to the aquarium to remember where we got married, and it is my favorite place in Seattle, maybe in the whole world, we go to the zoo to celebrate getting engaged. Besides, it's sorta hard to go stand in the road at the entrance to the freeway and be romantic, or not look crazy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

What a wonderful engagement story! Marriage is difficult, relationships with the M (military) factor, can really add lots of other stressors, but if you have a man that will propose three times, just to make to you happy, than you have a fantastic foundation. All those little things and small efforts really make everything worthwhile!

October 3, 2009 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger JW.BW said...

Thats so sweet. To propose three times!! I love it! Enjoy the zoo and the 9 days you get to spend with your honey!!

cant wait to see your wedding pics! I love the ones that are already on your blog.

October 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home