<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: My boring blog

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

My boring blog

I've read my recent posts and they are so boring! School is eating up way too much of my time and with my husband gone, that is my only focus.

I'm sure no one wants to hear about school anymore... Ok, one more thing (and I will do my best to be more interesting from now on!)

We practice our dentals on dead dog heads. I'm sure I've said this before. So I posted on my Facebook page, something along the lines of "Practicing dentals on dead dog heads... Weird, Gross, Cool or all of the above." Most people said, "all of the above." One chick I went to high school with was totally disgusted. She said she hoped they were skulls, not actual heads etc. etc.

I found this weird because she claims to want to be a vet assistant. Part of that job is chopping off the heads of animals that you think might have rabies and sending them to the state for examination and testing.

The heads are kinda gross. They stink something foul. But I have an actual mouth to test my skills on. Dentals are more than just teeth. It's all areas of the mouth. There can be more than just plaque going on. There are a ton or oral diseases and if I have never seen an animal mouth before, how will I know what to look for and where? We need the gums, they are important. We need to check the tongue and the roof of the mouth. But especially the gums. Gingivitis is the first indication of periodontal disease. They get red, swollen and bleed, just like in humans.
I tried to explain all of this to this girl, but she really seemed put out by it. I guess some people just don't think about all the aspects of their chosen career. As a tech, I can extract teeth, assistants can't. I have to have a mouth to learn on and I would hate for it to be a live animal. Talk about traumatizing. If she ever wants to advance her career and become a tech, she will have to do the same thing.

Some people... I can't figure out why it bothered me so much. I was just so shocked that someone in the industry would have such a strong reaction to something so minor. The dogs are shelter dogs, or dogs that were donated to science. We don't go out and kill pets just for this purpose. We are getting dogs that were going to be euthanized anyway. We're not sadists.
I don't know. I'm pretty sure I'm over reacting. I just couldn't believe that someone would be so upset by that. I wish there were a better way. I really do. It's sad that we have so many unwanted pets in the US. Our doggy is super cute too, I wish they had found him a home instead of putting him down. But such is life. I can't save them all. There are a million things we can do to prevent over population and reduce the number of animals euthanized in this country, but it wouldn't change the need of schools like mine that needs animals to practice on. The law says we can't practice on live animals. I agree with that law. Anesthesia has a lot of risks, we can't just go around and anesthetize animals for no reason. We can't poke them with needles over and over again. Or practice any of the other invasive and potentially painful things we need to learn how to do. It would be cruel. So we need dead animals. It's sucky part of school, for sure, but necessary.

Ok, now I'm ranting... The point is, is it really so horrible that we use dead animals to further our education so that we can spend the rest of our lives helping animals? I personally feel like it balances out in the end. I use a a handful of dead dogs during schooling, but just think how many animals I will save in my career using that knowledge. I don't enjoy having to practice on deceased animals, but it will help me save lives later. Doctors practice their medicine on cadavers in medical school, isn't is sorta the same thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home