<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: House Cleaning

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, October 23, 2009

House Cleaning

Well, its' more like blog list cleaning.

I got the idea from a blog I follow. She's a fellow military wife and posed the question "What makes you follow a blog and why do you stop following blogs." (I'm paraphrasing her post)

For a while during the deployment, I went on a mission to find blogs to read. Mostly I was looking for other military wives that were going through a deployment, but anything interesting would do.

I found that most people are not particularly interesting. Sad, but true. Some were too whinny, all they did was complain about their lives. Some never posted and when they did, it was very disjointed. Many used their blog to voice their opinions on life, or religion or politics ect. That is all fine and dandy, but I'm not into debating over the internet and, frankly, if I don't agree with enough of what you say, I probably won't read it. I love opinions that differ from mine, I think it makes me a well rounded person, but only up to a certain point.

None the less, I began following a lot of blogs. I would read the first page to see what the person was all about and then follow. In the past few months, I have maintained follower status on most of those blogs. Until today.

There are only a handful of blogs that I actually read. There are only a handful of people who actually read mine, so I figure it's fair. I went through and got rid of all the blogs that I just glance over today. I got rid of ones that don't interest me, which were a lot! I didn't realize how many I hung onto until I started deleting them. It was kinda nice, to tell you the truth.

I still follow a few that don't post often, some are people I know, some are just good blogs. I kept all the people that I actually read on a regular basis. I kept a few random ones to spice it up every now and then, but my list is much shorter now. Well, shorter. It's not the longest list I've seen, but it's not short.

So what makes someone follow or not follow a blog? I don't really know. I will give any blog a chance. I used to follow all the blogs of people who followed me. I stopped doing that when I hit 10 followers. I thought it would be nice to do that, but it proved to be too many blogs to follow. I have stopped following a fair share of blogs in my day. Sometimes it because the person says something truly offensive. One person really slammed the military (our men and women who serve, not the institution). Obviously, I stopped following that blog immediately. Sometimes I find the blog boring. One person always posted really long posts. I just didn't have the time to read them. I guess there are a lot of factors that go into choosing a blog to follow or not.

I also don't comment a lot on blogs... I like to be supportive. When I really agree, or want to comfort someone, I do. But I'm not really a commenting kind of person, especially if a lot of people have already commented. I have a sneaking suspicion that bloggers don't really read all those comments. I would... If someone takes the time to read my blog and comment, I take the time to read what they have to say, but people who have 100 + followers and get 50 comments a day? I just don't know... Not to mention that my words of support probably don't mean much when I'm the 100th person to say "congrats" or "sorry."

I don't get many comments on my blog, which is probably karma. I think it's for the best. I have read many blogs with mean commenters. People who lurk and comment nastily and anonymously. I would hate that. I don't mind opinions. You don't have to agree with me, but I don't think I would handle it well if people were being mean or rude on my blog.

I am curious as to what makes you follow or not follow a blog, but as I never comment on other peoples blogs, I don't really expect y'all to comment and tell me. :) LOL!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I hope I wasn't one on the chopping block lol.

I had a similar blogging "feng shui" experience a couple of months ago. My google reader was literally hemorrhaging blogs and half of them I was like "wtf is that?" haha.

I typically am all about following bloggers who have something to share in common with me. I follow alot of cooking, photography, and military blogs. Some I read every time they post, others not so much, the not so much bunch eventually end up in my deleted pile.

I hope that was insightful for you :-)

October 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger JW.BW said...

I like to follow blogs that I have something in common with and especially blogs that make me laugh. I had to turn off anonomous comments because my angry stepdaughter (shes 17) was posting crappy comments.. so annoying!!!

October 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger d.a.r. said...

I usually stop following blogs if I find we have nothing in common anymore. Some I keep purely for entertainment purposes. While I hate drama and negativity, sometimes I love myself a good train wreck.

I do have over 500 followers and tend to receive several comments on my blog. That sounds more conceited than I meant for it to, but I did want to say that I read each and every one of them. And if there is an email associated with their profile that they use to comment with, 99% of the time, I will email them back. Maybe not everyone does, but I think it's a little unfair to assume that just because someone gets a lot of comments, they don't read them all! I love my faithful commenters, and they tend to be the only blogs I also comment on!

October 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home