<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Dead dogs and dental cleanings

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dead dogs and dental cleanings

Well, tonight is my Friday! I am done with school for the week, but have mountains for homework and reading to do. It's going to talk all weekend to do it all. To top it off, I have three test next week, as will be the usual. Luckily, two of my teachers gave us the reviews today, so I have all weekend to make note cards and study, so I won't have to cram it all into one day again.

Looking back, this week was overwhelming, but calming at the same time. I can't believe how much information they throw at us in just four hours of school a day. I have a blister on my thumb from so much writing... My fingernails are longish and are rubbing. I tried cutting them, but the blister is already there, so it didn't do much good. (sigh)

I have taken my first test, learned how to dose medications, calculate drip rates for IV's, convert things to the metric/apothecary/household system of measurement. I have learned all about teeth, their structure, their placement, their anatomy and basic diseases of the mouth. I have learned all about various classifications for drugs, some individual drugs, what they do, their side effects and their uses in Vet Medicine. I have also learned all about pre-medicating animals to prepare them for anesthesia induction. There is much, much more, but it will just bore you more.

I have had brain overload. But surprisingly, I haven't felt all that stressed. Overwhelmed with information, yes, but not stressed. It just feels so good to be back in school. I have somewhere to be everyday. I have stuff to do all day. I feel useful again. And everyone in my class seems really nice. There are no annoying stupid people, they were all weeded out in the assistant program. We are all logical, level headed and eager to learn. It's a nice change from the people in the assistant program.

As for the title of my post? In my dentistry class we practice on dead dog heads. We have two kitty heads too, but they have to be shared by everyone. We are in groups of three and have a head assigned to us. We named ours Zeus. He's actually very cute too... Which makes it all the more sad that he was put to sleep and donated to medicine. He wasn't that old either. All our animals are animals that have been donated to science or are from shelters. It's sorta sad, but is really neat too. You can't really learn how to clean teeth if you don't practice and we can't practice on live animals... It's called cruelty to animals in most states. Legally, we can't anesthetize for no reason, we can't poke animals with needles, or intubate them. We can't harm or stress out animals for the sake of practice, so we use dead animals. I mean, would you let a class of 15 students practice blood draws on your dog knowing that not a single person would get it on the first try? I know I wouldn't.

So we practiced dental exams today on our little puppies and kitties. We freeze them during the week and bring them out on Thursdays to practice. It's a weird part of schooling that most people don't think about. I'm pretty excited about our dog. He has lots of weird stuff going on with his teeth and mouth, so it will be really great to learn on him.

WHEW!!! I'm so exhausted mentally. I can't wait to hit the hay. I have to go dress shopping for Marine Corps Ball this weekend too, so that is going to be fun and exciting. I was also invited to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat tomorrow night too! I just hope I have time to get all my homework and studying done!

1 Comments:

Blogger JW.BW said...

Sounds like you had a great time in class!! Big score on getting the doggie who ate lots of candy and never flossed!!

October 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home