<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Oh to be Active Duty

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oh to be Active Duty

I'm getting kinda tired of being a reservist wife.  I love that my husband has a civilian job and can be home, but there are so many things that would be easier if he were active duty.

Housing would be cheaper.  We would be renting, but it would be nice to have a cheaper house payment.  And I would live near a base with a lot of other Marine Corps wives.  I would have groups I could join to make friends and would have people to talk to about the deployment.  The commissary would be closer too.  

We would have a steady paycheck that didn't vary too much from month to month.  Living on an hourly pay is hard when you only have one income.  It is never the same amount, it all depends on how much he works.

On the other hand, we got paid today and it was $300 less than usual.  That was really hard to swallow.  We really needed that $300.  All of our bills got paid, but we have nothing left over.  I couldn't go grocery shopping, even if I wanted to, there's not enough money.  I will have to put it on my credit card if I go, which I hate to do.  So, there are down sides to active duty.  Pay getting screwed up is one of them.

My husband doesn't want to go active, and I don't really want to encourage him to.  I don't think I could handle the constant moving.  I hate to move, it really stresses me out and moving every two or so years would really take it out of me.  But none, the less, there are times that I dream of a life in an active duty world.  For the camaraderie, if nothing else.

I did meet a new wife the other day.  She is brand, spanking new to the Marine Corp.  It was nice to talk to another newly wed.  I talk to her often and it has made the deployment more bearable.  It's nice to talk to someone who can really relate to you.  So, maybe my active duty dreams with cease to be an issue.  

1 Comments:

Blogger ABW said...

Glad you met someone that you can talk to.

Active duty has its plus sides, but like you said, there is a lot of "extras" to go along with it. I actually get kind of scared when I think about him retiring!

September 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home