<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Money Sucks!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Money Sucks!

Well, with my husband home two and a half months early, that means we miss out on two and a half months worth of combat pay.  There are a few different kinds of pay he gets that are specific to being at war.  This means that, while he is "in country" (in a combat zone),  we get paid more money than when he's not.  

While he was deployed we had a lot less money going out.  I wasn't paying insurance on his car, no cell phone bill, less food money and a whole lot less spending money, and no gas money.  So our income was higher and we had less output.  This meant that I was living fairly comfortably.  I never managed to save much money though.  As I have blogged before, things kept going wrong and it ate our savings.  But we have a little saved.

The trouble is, my husband is home now.  We don't warrant the deployment money anymore.  We are on active duty pay now.  We are making a lot less money with all those wonderful bills being reinstated.  We are paying insurance and cell phone bills ect.  So less input, more output.  This is making thing very tricky for us.

I do not work.  We are a single income family.  As it sits right now, that single income is just enough to pay our bills, but there is no money left over.  We will not be able to go grocery shopping more than once a month (if even that much) and we will have zero dollars to put into savings of any kind.  In fact, come the first of the month, I will be emptying our savings account to pay some bills.  

With my husband living away from home, he will need to eat.  The military is not feeding them over there.  So that is a lot of money going out just for his food.  Plus, he needs gas to make the three hour drive to base and back each week.  I wanted to get a job, but my husband insisted that I focus on school, but now I'm very worried about money.  We are supposed to get an extra $1000 a month, but we don't know when it will start arriving.  It all depends on when the paper work gets done.  So, until then, we are flat broke.  

I was very worried this would happen when we found out they were coming home early.  If they had stayed in Iraq, we would have a ton of money saved and at least one credit card paid off.  But, I guess being broke is a small price to pay to have your husband home and safe.  Life is a constant trade off.  We traded money for safety.  I'm sure it will all work out in the end.  I'm sure we will get that extra monthly check and finally be back in the black.  But until then, I think I will have to reinstate my grocery ban... Damn, I was just getting used to having food in the house.  I guess it's a good thing I have all that Top Ramen left!  :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home