<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Sleep and Acne

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Sleep and Acne

Ok, so I know I have blogged about my depressing life. Yes, I am still heading to bed around 7pm. Pathetic, I know.

I have been trying to stay up later, but I wake up around 5:30 am. That means my body is ready to call it quits at like 8pm. So, I lay in bed, fighting the urge to fall asleep and I always lose. So I wake up around 5 - 5:30 and lay in bed until 6 or 6:15. I generally give up around 6:10 and get out of bed and have breakfast.

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to go to bed early to avoid having to be lonely. But it's sorta sad to be awake that early in the morning with nothing to do. I find ways to keep busy, but who wants to be awake at 5:30 am? What's worse is that this is my pattern on the weekends too. During the week, it's not so bad because most of my neighbors are awake and leaving for work around the time I am awake. This means, that I am not alone in the universe. But on the weekends, they all sleep in. So I am the lone person awake... probably in the whole little town I live in.

I'm stuck in this bed time cycle. I have been going to bed at 7 pm for so long that I feel weird being up any later than that. I went to bed at 7 when I was in school, but I never fell asleep that early. I would lay in bed for hours trying to fall asleep. But now, I fall asleep right away. On the rare occasions I have something to do at night, I feel crappy. I often go to plays with a friend and I am out until 11pm or later. But then I sleep in until 8am or 9 and feel lazy. I feel lazy if I sleep much past 7 am.

To add to my frustration, I have developed adult onset acne.

In my youth I had perfect skin. While all my friends were struggling with puberty, I was in the clear, no pun intended. In college, I would have a few breakouts of acne. Small patches on my cheeks, but they would come and go, rather infrequently, and with little work on my part. Then I got married. My skin was perfect for my wedding day, not a single stress caused zit. But a few months later, my face broke out horribly and never cleared back up.

I can get it mostly clear, but not all the way and I constantly break out. At least once a week my face explodes and I always have red marks that show were my previous breakouts were. I have tried a number of products, including Proactive. Nothing has worked.

I finally asked my doctor about it and he gave me a bunch of prescriptions. I have a strong face wash I am to use twice a day. I have an antibiotic cream to use in the morning and Retin-A to use at night. All of which are drying out my skin. My face constantly burns and is starting to flake, regardless of how much moisturizer I use. The labels promise this is temporary. That in a few weeks, it won't be doing that anymore. But it's pretty horrible in the mean time.

Plus, none of the medications work until 12 weeks. So I am stuck with crappy skin for at least another three months. One of the medications will actually cause me to break out at 3-6 weeks. Fun stuff. But my doctor assured me that in three months, my skin would be crystal clear. And that, he hoped, once clear, I would be able to go off the harsh stuff and my skin would be fine.

I'm giving it a try. I've been on the stuff for a week now and I was ready to call my doc and quit a few days ago. My face hurt so badly and the peeling hurts and looks pretty terrible, but I decided I couldn't give up. I mean, it's not forever (I hope) and it will mean my skin finally clears up. What's a few weeks of peeling and burning, especially if it means no more acne.

The sucky part is that the stuff I use at night, the Retin-A is sorta a pain to use. I have to wash my face, the let it dry for thirty minutes before apply that stuff. And I can't put on a moisturizer afterward, so I have to deal with the drying.

On the bright side of things, I'm well rested, (even if I am getting up at 5:30 am) and I will soon be acne free. I guess things could be worse. I used to not be able to sleep at all. I have wicked insomnia and can't take medication for it. So, I should be thankful just to be sleeping. As soon as I start school again, I know the stress will send me back to sleepless nights and midnight homework. So I will soak it up as long as I can. And who knows, maybe my skin will be clear in time for Ball and I won't have to feel so insecure this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shaina said...

I, too, struggle with crappy skin - isn't it the absolute WORST??! I recommend trying the Clinique acne line, if you haven't gone down that road already. It is a bit pricey, but the best products I have found to date. i used to use Proactiv, and I hated how dry and raw it made my skin - that's how I felt with Retin-A, too. The Clinique product line is fantastic - my skin never feels dry and ick, always moisturized but still crap-free. I think they have some sample packs you can pick up to try the products. Highly recommended!!!

August 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home