<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Job Interview

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Job Interview

I went on my first job interview today. I say my "first" because I'm pretty sure I didn't get it and will have to go on many more before finding a job.

It's a perfect job for me too. They only want two to three days a week, mostly Saturdays, which is exactly what I am looking for. It's a cute little hospital with two doctors. It's close the the free way and not too far from school. It is only 20 minutes from my house, but with traffic it's more like 45. Everyone there was so nice too.

But the the doctor who owns the practice was hard to read. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, but he was tough and I couldn't tell if I was impressing him or not. Mostly, I think not.

The trouble is, I'm just not confident. Don't get me wrong, in my everyday life, I'm super confident. And normally, I interview really well. But when it comes to the veterinary field, I lack confidence completely. I have no background in the field at all. So, it seems like I just woke up one day and said, "I think I'll be a Vet Tech today." Which I didn't. I thought long and hard about it. I talked to people in the field. I researched different schools. But when you are still in school and have never worked at a vet, it doesn't look so good.

I'm also very nervous about my skills. My externship site loved me. They praised the heck out of me. But there are still things I'm not confident in. Like ear cytology and microscope work. I want someone to double check my work. I want someone looking over my shoulder, telling me I'm doing it right. In the real world, that just isn't going to happen. So I probably don't come across well in an interview, because I'm nervous and unsure.

I wish I had more confidence in the field. I can do a blood draw in one stick (which I proved today at my interview) and I can restrain animals really well (which I also proved in my interview), but there are so many aspects of the job that I just don't have confidence in. I have no animal background. I have no experience.

Man, I wish there was a pill I could take to gain confidence. I really think that is what held me back today. I can impress anyone I want to when it comes to customer service or data entry, but start talking about veterinary stuff and my stomach falls to my feet and I get all tongue tied.

I wonder if I will ever get a job?

1 Comments:

OpenID michellehankins said...

Oh Erin! I really hope you get this job! It will make for lots of good blog post! :-) I am sure you did great durning the interview - looking forward to hearing the out-come!

August 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home