<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Hello My Name is...

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Hello My Name is...

Hello, My name is A Girl and I am a Harry Potter Dork.

I didn't get into the books right away.  For along time I scoffed at my friends who read them.  I was too sophisticated to read children's books, much less ones about wizards.  I was in high school when they came out and laughed, loudly, at those who were getting sucked into the Harry Potter world.  I was too cool for all that.

One day, while at my boyfriends house, I picked up the first book out of shear boredom.  I was officially hooked.  By this point, the first three books were out.  So I ran out and bought them all and read them back to back.  I then, dutifully, pre-ordered all my first editions and waited for them at midnight like all the wackos.  No, I did not dress up in costumes.  No, I did not wear Harry Potter glasses.  I simply took my place in line and waited until midnight to claim my book, though I was one of the only normal people there.  It was extremely enjoyable to see all the crazies out in full regalia.

I now have a number of first editions and the whole series.  I did not read the last book right away.  Like any true, die hard fan, I had to reread all the other books before reading the newest ones.  Unfortunately, I got side tracked at the seventh book and was unable to complete the series until just a few months ago.  That is my one, major flaw.  I had to read them all in order and I just didn't have the time.  But I finally read it, and have plans to start the series again soon.

I bring this up because I have just come from the movie theater.  I just saw the newest Harry Potter movie.  And I must say, what a gyp.  Don't get me wrong.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.  But I have a few complaints.

If you have not read the books and have not seen the new movie, but plan on it, stop reading now.  I'm going to talk about it and I would hate to ruin it for anyone.



They left out some key plot points.  Like the love affair that Ron's older brother Bill has with Fleur.  The first part of the next book centers around their wedding, but they were not so much as mentioned in the movie.  And the Tonk's love affair with Lupin was omitted.  Not a huge plot point, but I felt is was sad to leave it out.  It is referred to a lot in the next book.  

However, my biggest pet peeve was this:

At the end of the book, Harry and Dumbledore come back from their trip and are surprised by Draco Malfoy and his fellow Death Eaters.  Dumbledore stuns Harry to protect him and is quickly, and I say QUICKLY killed by Professor Snape.  This scene in the movie dragged on with dialog from nowhere.  Then, after Dumbledore is killed, Harry chases after them and a huge, I mean MAJOR battle ensues.  Death Eaters from everywhere show up and duke it out with all the teacher and many of the students.  Ron's parents show up along with many of the rest of the Order of the Phoenix.  It is a major, major, major battle.  It takes place all over the school.  People are killed.  Many of Harry's friends prove not only their loyalty, but their abilities as wizards to the adults.  One of the Weasly twins is injured.  Hagrid is attacked.  What the Hell People!  Why was this battle completely left out of the movie?   

It was, surely, the most exciting part of the book.  Harry fighting for his life against his horrible foes.  I don't understand why is was omitted,  but when the movie ended and that scene, as well as Dumbledores funeral were not shown, the movie went down a notch in my book.  I was highly disappointed.  

And, by the way, since we are on the subject of what the hell... Since when do Death Eaters turn into smoke?  This was definitely not in the book and seem superfluous to me.  And, in this newest movie, the Death Eaters attack the Weasly's home and blow it up!  That never happened in the book.  If fact, in the next book, they host a wedding there. So explain to me how they are going to make that work?

Other than that, it was actually pretty enjoyable. I understand that the books are incredibly long and hard to turn into two hour movies.  They must omit things and I agree with most of what was omitted for the sake of time.  I also understand artistic license and felt that what was done was acceptable.  I hear they are making the seventh, and final book, into two movies.  That is probably the smart thing to do.  The last book is very dense and there isn't much room to leave things out for time because most of it is important to the plot.  I really look forward to it, mostly to see how they work out all the things they left out of this movie.  

I do have one question.  How are they still making these movies PG?  The books are not PG by a long shot.  PG-13 maybe.  Sometimes, the violence in them makes them R in my opinion.  Not to mention the heavy subject matter.  But, I suppose, they would be losing key demographics if they increased the rating on them.  

Oh well, I still recommend you see the movies to go along with the books.   But I highly recommend actually reading the books.  They are so much better, in so many ways.  

3 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

I don't think I am as huge of HP fan as you are, but definately do enjoy the series. I haven't actually seen the newest movie yet, but will see it as soon as I can find a buddy to go with me. My husband is also deployed (subs) and I hate seeing movies alone. Anyway, stay strong! I also totally agree with you about the ratings. They are much darker, and the content is much more serious than a PG rating.

August 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Fellow HP lover http://jenziebenzie.blogspot.com/2009/07/save-ginny-weasley.html

That is a post about my nerdyness

August 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger Shaina said...

I am a big HP fan as well...love the books and have enjoyed the movies. Except for this last one! To be honest, it has been so long since I've read the book that I had forgotten about many of the details you wrote about. But, now that they are all coming back to me...the movie just got MORE disappointing. Blah. I can only hope that the last two are better (and can you BELIEVE they are breaking the last book up into TWO movies? Such BS!!!)!

August 26, 2009 at 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home