<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Good News!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Good News!

I have been looking for part time work in the vet field. I'm not out of school yet, so I can't work as a tech, but I can work as an assistant. I just got a call last night from a hospital in Seattle (I didn't get the message until this morning). I checked out their website and it seems like a pretty great place. They want to know what I'm looking for and a little about me. The girl who called won't be in again until Tuesday. It seems like such a long time to wait. I really need this job. We could really use the extra income. And it would be great to be able to apply the stuff I'm learning in school.

I'm really hoping they like me and want to interview me. I'm not going to go so far as to wish for the job. I don't want to get my hopes up. But I really want to be considered for it. I want them to at least give me a chance.

Other good news...

Military One Source is a military run organization that caters to helping military families. No matter what the problem, they have a solution. Not sure which TV brand makes the best big screen? Call Military One Source. Having couple troubles with your husband? Military One Source offers six free counseling sessions per issue. So you can use the service over and over again. I have called them when our pay was screwed up and we couldn't make our house payment. They directed me to a non-profit that gives interest free loans. I love them and recommend them to anyone in the military. They started as a Marine Corp instillation, but was so successful that they became military wide. How great is that?!

Well, they got approval from the Department of Defense to give money for school to military wives. Up to $6,000. My school has to be approved and I have to go through a bunch of steps. I have to create career plan and some other things, get approved and my program has to be approved. It also has to be a portable career. Meaning, it's something I can do, no matter where the military moves us to. It's good for Masters degrees and trade schools. I'm in an AA licensing program. I get an Applied Science degree, I think, but it's also preparing me to get a license.

Well, my school wasn't on the approved list. I went through all the steps to get it approved and have been waiting for three weeks. It can take up to three months to get approved.

Well, my approval just came in today! Not just my campus, but all Pima Medical Institute campuses. I'm sure that's because I'm not the only military wife going to Pima. But how great is that! I can now go through the process of getting money for school! I'm not holding my breath for all six grand. But just enough so I don't have to pay out of pocked for school would be nice. During the assistant program, I had to pay $700 out of pocket for school. That's a lot of money. So it would be great to get enough money that I don't have to do that again.

Man it was a good day. And it's only 10:30 am.

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

I'm glad that things are looking up for you! Good luck with the job, and that is GREAT news about the schooling. I'll have to look into Military One Source - I'd never heard of it before, but I am thinking of going back to school for my Master's and perhaps it could help. Thanks for sharing!

August 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Shaina said...

Hey Erin...I was just rereading this post, and I am super interested in trying to get this financial help for education while my hubby is deployed (and thus becomes active duty again). Can you direct me to the right place on the Military One Source website? Feel free to email me at:

slsmith118 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks so much!!!

September 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home