<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Dog Trainers and Interviews

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dog Trainers and Interviews

Well, I just had the new dog trainer over. It actually went really well. Much to my surprise, her methods worked on my dog. Our pup is very stubborn and only does things when she gets something out of it. But this worked pretty well. I give a vocal correction and throw a bag of chains on the floor. She really hated those bags of chains. It stopped her barking right away.

The trainer praised me for doing such good work with my dog. Pups is extremely dominant, and that makes her difficult to work with. The trainer gave me some tips on how to reaffirm my dominance while letting me know that I did a pretty darn good job. I felt pretty great about that. Prior to pups, I had no dog training experience, so being told that I did all the right things was pretty great. Honestly, I sent me other dog to puppy boarding school. He lived there for six months while being trained. In all fairness, the training was only supposed to take six to eight weeks, but he was difficult. So, she is the first dog that I have trained and it's nice to know that I did a good job.

Her only real flaw is a lack of puppy manners when people come over. She barks at them and jumps around them. I've tried to stop this, but with no success. This new method seems to be working though. We'll see if she can keep it up.

In other news, I got another interview. It's at a cat only vet. At least I'm pretty sure it's cats only. I think that could be really interesting. Cats a pretty unique. Going to the vet is very stressful for them. Dogs run in and want to be petted and want to play. You can give them treats to win their trust. Cats, not so much.

If you think about it, I feel really bad for cats who are going to the vet. They are suspicious by nature. So you take them in a crate, which is something they hate. It's a big, unfamiliar box that closes them in. That's pretty scary. Then you put them in the car, something that most cats are not used to. It bumps them around and makes loud noises. That's also pretty scary. Then you put them in a room that smells like other cats and dogs that they don't know. So now, they are suspicious and in unfamiliar territory. Then you bring in a stranger, who is grabbing them out of the crate, which has turned into the only place they feel safe. They get yanked out against their will by someone they don't know and poked and prodded. Then another stranger comes in and starts opening their eyes and poking them and opening their mouth. Then they get things like blood draws or vaccinations which means they are getting poked/hurt by these crazy strangers.

No wonder cats hate the vet. It takes some special coaxing and a patient person to deal with cats. I personally love to deal with cats. They can be very sweet when you understand how hard going to the vet must be on them. And cats like treats too, so it never hurts to have a few on you to win their love.

We'll see how the interview goes. I hope it's better than the last one. I felt so unsure. Maybe this time, I'll feel more confident.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

good luck with the dog training and the interview. I am a cat owner and I agree with you completely about your statements about the taking the cats to the vet. I feel like such a jerk when I take out the crate and they both scatter :-)

August 18, 2009 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I hope that the interview goes well:) I'm glad to see that you found someone who is good with your dog. I hope the training also goes well for you!

Keep us updated please!

August 18, 2009 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Erin, I am glad to read the list of foods left in your home - I was starting to have sad images of you sitting at home eating Ramen all day every day! It looks like the variety that you have left is not too bad, hang in there!

August 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Erin, I am glad to read the list of foods left in your home - I was starting to have sad images of you sitting at home eating Ramen all day every day! It looks like the variety that you have left is not too bad, hang in there!

August 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home