<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Another inteview

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Another inteview

Well, I had my second and final interview today. I say final because the third place that got my resume didn't even want to see me. I got a very vague note from them saying my skills didn't match their job requirements. I don't even know how that is possible. It's an entry level position and I have slightly above entry level skills. But whatever, I didn't really want to commute to that part of Seattle anyway. It would take at least an hour to get there, probably more with traffic.

My interview today was at a cats only clinic. Very nice. It's a pretty big hospital with all sorts of swanky stuff. Their isolation ward is super spiffy. Each kennel has individual ventilation! No worries about cross contamination there! They were also individually heated. That's pretty stinking cool. Their surgery suite has a heated surgery table. That is also super cool. No worries about faulty heating pads burning patients. Very nice.

I was a little nervous at first because they gave me a written test. I was not prepared for that at all! Half of it was spelling and I am a terrible speller, but I did pretty good on that. They also gave me a list of cases/issues/tasks and asked me to put them in order of priority. That was tough. Each time I numbered one, I thought of a million more things it might be to make it more important that the other things. A cat drooling may not seem like a big deal, but if it just had a stroke it becomes high priority. Talk about a tough thing to gauge when it's such a vague description.

The actual interview went well. It was pretty short. But the woman doing it was super nice. Her mannerisms and attitude put me at ease right away. I felt way more confident this time around. We talked about what the schedule would be like and what my strengths/weakness are. We talked about my externship and what I was allowed to do there (which was everything). All in all it went pretty well. Well, I know it went fairly well because she asked me back to do a working interview. Basically, that means I go work there for a few hours with supervision. So next Thursday I go back to show them my practical skills.

I'm a little nervous about it. It's hard to preform under scrutiny, but I'm pretty good at the practical stuff. I can get a blood draw on my first stick (usually) and I'm pretty good with vaccinations and restraint. At my externship, I was even getting pretty good at the lab work. This clinic doesn't do much lab work. Mostly urinalysis. All fecal samples and blood work is sent out to a private lab. I'm sorta bummed about that because I really enjoy lab work and I really want to be proficient at it, but it's hard to find a vet job that is 100% perfect in every way. I think that probably true for any job.

So, I'm on my way. I really hope they like me and want to hire me. The hours would be tough and it would make for some long days, but it would be so great to put to use the stuff I'm learning in school.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Congrats girl! Good luck in your working interview! Sounds like you know your stuff and you'll do great.

August 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I wish you lots of luck! Being a cat owner I am partial to cats. It seems like a good job to pratice your skills! You should give me some pointers on blood draws haha. I'm pretty good at IV starts but when I start work in the ED I'll have to do blood draws multiple times a day!

August 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home