<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Where I work

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Where I work

I have been asked this question a few times and just now realized that not everyone knows what I do. Sorry!

I am going to school to be a Veterinary Technician. I have just finished the first portion of my schooling, which is Vet Assistant.

Vet Techs have a two year degree and are nationally and state licensed. Vet Assistants can be laypeople who are taught on the job, there is no licensing or degree program, anyone can be an Assistant. There is a fine line between the two, but there are a few things that Techs can do that Assistants can't. Like intubate.

My school does everything in six week increments. So we do two to three classes at a time for six weeks then move on to the next subject. We have no breaks, so I get a two year degree in a year and a half... Though I have decided to take the summer off of school duet to the stress of a deployment, so I will take a full two years (I think). It is also divided into two portions. First we learn to be Vet Assistants, then we do a six weeks externship (an unpaid internship). Then we go back to school and do the Tech portion and then do another six week externship. Then we are graduates.

I am currently working at a vet clinic for the externship, though my last day is tomorrow. It went by so fast!

They were going to hire me on, but things have begun to really slow down, so they have asked me to wait a while. I don't know if they will pick up enough for me to be hired on or not... But, honestly, I feel ok about it. If you will read my other blogs, I wasn't so sure about taking the job for ethical reasons anyway. Right now, I have an overwhelming sense of the "just fines." I feel like it was sorta meant to be that I didn't get the job. It feel like there was a reason for it, so I'm pretty ok with not working there.

So that is what I do... I hope that clears up any confusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home